From nourishing soups and salads to comforting bakes, these leek recipes are as fabulous as they are healthy.
Today I am highlighting one of my favourite vegetables – leek. Like onion and garlic, leeks belong to the allium family but, in my opinion, they are much more versatile in the kitchen. If you’ve ever only used leeks to flavour a soup or a stock, brace yourself – you’re about to discover amazing new ways to leek it up.
Leeks have very similar properties to the garlic and onion – a unique combination of flavonoids (antioxidants) and sulfur-containing nutrients that provide cardiovascular support. For people who avoid onion and garlic due to their FODMAPs content, the green parts of the leek are okay to use. The green parts have a lovely, green onion and slightly garlicky flavour and can be used cooked or raw.
Otherwise, the whole leek – white, pale green and green parts – can be used, although I often see people discard the green leaves. Leeks can be braised, fried, roasted, boiled, sautéed or sliced thinly and eaten raw in salads. I’ve often thought of leeks as French food but there are many cuisines and dishes that use this vegetable, and of course, it can be used instead of onions.
Covering soups, sauces, salads and drips, here is my round-up of 35 delicious and healthy leek recipes.
Using Leeks In Soups
- Cock-a-leekie Soup (with chicken) from The Domestic Man
- Leek Fennel Apple & Walnuts Soup with Turmeric (Vegan, Paleo) from The First Mess
- Hearty Salmon Chowder with Leeks (AIP) from Healing Family Eats
- Cleansing Spinach & Leek Soup from Claire Yates (guest recipe on EDP)
- Mushroom, Leek & Thyme Soup (Paleo, Gluten-free, Vegan)
- Dairy-free Potato & Leek Soup from Eat Your Beats
Ottolenghi’s Braised Eggs with Leek and Za’atar from The Kitchn
Braised Chicken with Leeks & Scallions from A Calculated Whisk
- Braised Leeks, Peas and Little Gems from The Happy Foodie
- Scallops with Leek Confit Puree & Macadamia Crumbs
Leeks In Salads
- Leek Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette & Egg from Andrew Zimmern
- Potato & Leek Salad from Cravings Journal
- Ukrainian Lee, Apple & Carrot Slaw Salad from The New Baguette
- Quinoa, Leek & Pine Nut Salad from Cotter Crunch
Leeks As Side Dishes
- Grilled Zucchini & Leeks with Walnuts & Herbs from Bon Appetit
- Cauliflower Leek & Turmeric Fried ‘Rice’ from Whole Life Full Soul
- Sauteed Spinach & Leeks from Family Food On The Table
- Garlic Leek Mashed Potatoes from Eat The Love
- Garlic Pork Steaks With Sauteed Leeks & Green Beans
Roasted & Baked Leeks
- Roasted Leeks with Hazelnut & Bacon Dressing
- Caramelised Leek, Fennel & Onion Gratin (Dairy-Free) from Every Last Bite
- Roasted Leeks with Lemon & Dill from Jessica Cox
- Asparagus, Leek & Pancetta Tart (GF, Low-Carb) from I Breath I’m Hungry
Leeks In A Sauce
30-Minute Creamy Mushroom and Leek Chicken Breasts from Foodie Crush
- Paleo Alfredo with Caramelized Leeks & Bacon (AIP) from Meatified
- Perch Fish With Creamy Mushroom & Leek Sauce from Taste.com
- Pork Chops In Mustard Leek Sauce by Miguel Barclays
In Burgers & Meatballs
- Apple Leek & Bacon Breakfast Sausage from And Here We Are
- Breakfast Pork & Leek Burgers from Comfort Bites
- Beef & Leek Burgers with Roasted Vegetables from Miranda Ballard
- Turkey Leek Meatballs from I Will Not Eat Oysters
Leek Quiches & Frittatas
- Potato & Leek Frittata from Uproot Kitchen
- Sausage Leek & Spinach Quiche from Paleo Running Momma
- Crustless Asparagus Leek & Goat’s Cheese Quiche from The Real Food Dieticians
- Bacon & Leek Omelette from By Rosie
In Dips & Condiments
- Guacamole with Leeks & Jalapeños
- Healthy French Onion Dip with Leeks and Shallots from Feed me Phoebe
- Leekchi (like kimchi) from PBS Food
- Charred Leek & Roasted Garlic Hummus from Sugar Love Spices
What’s your favourite way to prepare leeks? Share in the comments below.
Thank you so much for featuring my leek salad! 🙂
It looks delish!
What a great collection of recipes! We feel leek is so underrated, thanks for doing this and including our hummus recipe.
My CSA has us overrun with leeks! Thank you for the ideas!