These baked cod fillets with Brussels sprouts and cherry tomatoes are super quick and easy. The cod is topped with a delicious, spiced paste that turns into crispy, caramelised crust when the cod is baked. Making the fish and vegetables in one pan turns this into a fuss-free, sheet-pan dinner that you can make even on the busiest of days. This recipe was originally posted on Happy Body Formula website.
When it comes to healthy eating, you can’t go past a good fish recipe. I have a lot of salmon recipes on the blog but I also enjoy cooking with white fish and especially with cod. It’s affordable, nutritious and neutral-tasting so it can be used with a variety of seasonings and sauces.
In this recipe, I wanted to make baked cod fillets topped with a tasty spice rub. This rub turns into the most delicious crust when cooked, giving the fish a lot of flavours. It’s a little spicy but you can tailor the heat to your taste.
Cooking vegetables alongside the fish in the same tray is a total time-saver and means less washing up. I love making this dish (or a variation of it) on weeknights when I am busy and have little energy for complex dinners.
Nutrition: Baked Cod With Brussels Sprouts
Cod is a fantastic fish to use in healthy cooking. It’s high in protein, low in calories and full of healthy fats. It’s also a great source of minerals and vitamins. Together with antioxidants-rich Brussels sprouts and tomatoes, this one-pan dinner is super nutrients and well-balanced. Cod is also lower in mercury than other longer-living, larger fish.
This is a perfect meal for anyone following my paleo reset program, Whole30 or any other healthy eating plan.
Note: Not all cod is sustainable, so check for labels.
Can I Use Different Fish In This Recipe?
Absolutely! If you can’t find cod or prefer to eat another type of fish, it’s totally fine. You can use any white fish fillets, salmon or trout in the same way here. The spice rub works well with all of them.
The same goes for vegetables. Feel free to swap Brussels sprouts with broccoli or cauliflower; tomatoes can be swapped for carrots or peppers.
How To Make Baked Cod Fillets with Brussels Sprouts
You will find the full recipe ingredients, instructions and nutritional breakdown below. Here is a handy video on how to make baked oven fillets with any veggies you like.
If you enjoyed this video for Baked Cod Fillets, please subscribe to my Youtube Channel and click the bell icon so you’ll be the first to know when I post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!
What To serve With Baked Cod & Brussels Sprouts
This is quite a light dish, so you can serve it with another side dish for extra calories. I recommend some cooked sweet potato mash or roasted sweet potato, rice or quinoa if you want to add more carbohydrates. Alternatively, you could roast a tray with carrots or squash at the same time.
More Healthy Fish Recipes
- Macadamia Crusted Fish Fingers With Tarragon Slaw
- Whole Baked Trout With Herb Salsa & Lemon
- Pan-Fried Cod With Garlic & Parsley (Basque Style)
- Cajun Lime & Honey Salmon With Cauliflower Tomato Rice
- Sardine Fishcakes With Garlic Aioli
Healthy and delicious cod fillets baked in the oven together with Brussels spruts and cherry tomatoes. The cod is smothered in delicious, spiced paste to cook into a crispy, caramelised crust. This dish is gluten-free, Whole30, paleo and low-carb friendly. Serve as is or with another side dish.
For cod crust paste
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely diced or grated
- ½ long red chilli, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon (about 2–3 tablespoons)
- 4 cod fillets (140–150 g / 5 oz. each)
- 350 g / 0.7 lbs. Brussels sprouts, cut in halves
- 10–12 cherry tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, chilli, spices, sea salt, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Place a piece of parchment/baking paper over a flat oven sheet pan and grease with a little olive oil. Place the cod fillets in the middle and top each fillet with equal amounts of the spice mix.
- Cut the larger Brussels sprouts in half and leave the small ones whole.
- Scatter the Brussels sprouts around the cod and place a few tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with some sea salt and lemon zest, and drizzle with extra olive oil.
- Place the tray in the hot oven, middle shelf, for 20 minutes. Once ready, serve while hot with a side salad. Store leftover fish and veggies in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Cod can be swaped with other white fish fillets or salmon fillets. Brussels sprouts and tomatoes can be replaced with other vegetables of choice.
- Serving Size: 1 cod fillet with Brussels sprouts & cherry tomatoes
- Calories: 372
- Sugar: 5.8 g
- Sodium: 1053.4 mg
- Fat: 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.7 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 28.4 g
- Cholesterol: 68.2 mg