These baked sweet potato chips in the oven are perfectly crisp, delicious and healthy. They are perfect as a snack, finger food, lunchbox addition, in nachos or as a simple side dish. Paleo, Whole30, Vegan & Gluten-free.
If you’re trying to be healthy and avoiding potato chips or crisps, or you need an alternative to crackers or corn chips, these baked sweet potato chips will hit the spot. Plus, they are super easy to make and should be mastered as a staple in your healthy cooking repertoire.
How To Make Baked Sweet Potato Chips In The Oven
The best way to get evenly thin potato slices is by using a hand-held mandoline or a mandoline setting on a food processor. But, a sharp knife and steady hand (and a little patience) will also do the job. I simply washed and pat-dried the potatoes without peeling them. Less hassle and more fibre! Make sure to slice them as thinly as possible.
Using good quality olive oil is fine for baking sweet potato chips. The antioxidants in the olive oil protect it even during the high-temperature cooking, although 200 C/400 C is not too bad. You can also use avocado oil, macadamia oil or coconut oil, which are even more heat stable.
For the seasoning, you can’t go past good quality sea salt. I believe that often simple is best. But, if you want to get a bit creative, try dusting the slices with sweet or smoked paprika, ground cumin, garlic and onion powder, favourite herbs, chilli or even cinnamon.
Love sweet potatoes? Try my Spiced Sweet Potato Mash, Paleo Sweet Potato Brownies or my Garlic Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Coconut Oil.
Find the full list of ingredients, instructions, and a nutritional breakdown below. If you have questions or cook this recipe, please let me know in the comments, and make sure to rate this recipe so it’s easy for others to find.Print
Baked Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Healthy
These baked sweet potato chips are perfectly crisp, delicious and healthy. They are perfect as a snack, finger food, lunchbox addition, in nachos or as a simple side dish. Paleo, Whole30, Vegan & Gluten-free.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, sliced very thinly
- 3 tablespoons of good quality olive oil
- Baking/parchment paper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (and other spices or herbs you like)
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 390 F.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the sweet potato slices with olive oil until evenly coated.
- Place a piece of parchment /baking paper on two flat baking trays. Spread the sweet potato slices in a single layer, without overlapping if possible. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until crispy, turning them over half way through. When you turn the slices over, you may need to move some of the slices around the tray, depending on the hot spots in your oven.
- Check them at a 20-minute mark, to make sure they don’t get too burnt around the edges. If some of the chips seem done, remove them from the tray and leave the rest to bake for a little longer.
- Finally, season the chips with a generous amount of salt. If using other spices, I recommend seasoning the chips before going in the oven so the spices stick to the oil.
Comment or Rate This Recipe
Got questions or feedback? Leave a comment. Made the recipe? Please leave a rating as it helps other readers to discover this dish. Name and email are required to avoid spam comments and are never used for any purpose or shared with third parties.