This beet, avocado and edamame salad is a great plant-based weeknight meal that is rich in protein, fibre and vitamins. It’s satiating and filling for a salad and the recipe below is for two people. You could also serve it as one big side salad for the whole family.
2 medium beets, cooked or canned and sliced into thin wedges
1/2 cup frozen edamame beans
1 small red onion, cut in half and sliced very thinly
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (apple cider or white wine vinegar could be used)
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 small clove of garlic, minced or diced (can be left out)
1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
3 cups packed with baby spinach leaves or other greens
1/2 cup coriander/cilantro leaves
1/2 cup mint or basil leaves (optional)
1 avocado, sliced
Mixed seeds (sunflower, pumpkin seeds)
Crumbed goat’s feta cheese or plant-based alternative
- Cook the beets (if needed) or slice canned beets.
- Cook edamame beans in slightly salted boiling water for 3-5 minutes, strain and rinse under cold water.
- Combine sliced onions with vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, garlic and honey in a bowl. Add the sliced beets and mix together Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare other ingredients and assemble the salad. Add the leafy greens such as spinach to a large bowl or a plate and top with herbs and cooked edamame beans. Divide sliced avocado between bowls and drizzle with lemon juice and a little sea salt.
- Top the salad bowls with marinated onions and beets and drizzle the remaining dressing.
- Finish the salad with a tablespoon or two of seeds and some goat’s cheese or feta if using.
Using beets: you can use canned beets or cook your own. Add whole beets to a pot of boiling water and cook for 20-25 minutes. I like to undercook them slightly so they have a little crunch in the middle. You can also cook beets in Instant Pot.
Make-ahead: Marinated onions and beets can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days, they will develop a stronger flavour over time. Cooked edamame beans will also keep for the same time. You can prepare these elements ahead of time, so all you have to do is wash the greens and assemble the salad.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl (1/2 avocado, 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds, 2 tbsp goat's cheese)
- Calories: 594
- Sugar: 14.5 g
- Sodium: 868 mg
- Fat: 49 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.3 g
- Fiber: 11.8 g
- Protein: 14.8 g
- Cholesterol: 16.7 mg
Keywords: Beets, Beetroot, Beet Salad, Beetroot Recipes, Vegan Friendly, Vegetarian Salad, Salad Recipes