This vibrant dish with Vitamin C loaded broccoli, fragrant garlic, nutty burnt butter and toasted almonds is easy, quick and cheap. I often make it as a side dish to go with our chosen protein for dinner. Since it keeps well in the fridge, I try to make a big batch so we can have some for lunch the next day. It tastes quite moreish, so even your fussy kids might eat broccoli this way.
I am a huge butter advocate (here are some reasons), but if you’re avoiding dairy altogether, you can use ghee (clarified butter) or macadamia oil instead. Almonds can be replaced by macadamia nuts or walnuts.
- 1 head broccoli cut into small florets
- 1 garlic clove peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds you can use any other blanched almonds
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- Place the saucepan back on the stove, keep the heat on medium. Add butter, garlic, almonds and salt. Stir frequently until butter starts frothing. Keep it frothing and stirring for about 30 seconds letting almonds and garlic to brown slightly. It's very easy to burn the garlic so keep an eye on it.
- Turn the heat off. Combine broccoli with the butter sauce until well coated.