Perfect for breakfast or in your lunch box, these grain-free and gluten-free broccoli and cauliflower fritters take on a new life with the addition of salty halloumi cheese. This recipe is great for those following a low-carb or gluten-free diet and is also vegetarian-friendly.
These grain-free and gluten-free broccoli & cauliflower fritters are perfect for a leisurely breakfast or brunch, and I often make them for dinner on Meatless Mondays. This recipe is more low-carb but contains some dairy (cheese!), but you could make them dairy-free as well.
Cauliflower and broccoli are great sources of fibre and vitamins, while eggs and cheese will add a decent dose of protein. I am using halloumi cheese, which is traditionally made from sheep’s and goat’s milk; however, many mainstream manufacturers now also add cow’s milk. Check the label, if you would prefer to avoid cow’s milk dairy altogether. You can certainly make these without cheese, as the eggs and coconut flour should still hold the shape of the fritters.
Cauliflower Fritters Tips
You can replace halloumi cheese with grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, or raw aged cheddar – whatever you can tolerate and have on hand. Feta cheese will also work well here. If omitting cheese completely, you could add some nutritional yeast flakes and onion powder for a little ‘cheesy’ flavour.
Coconut flour can be replaced with double the amount of tapioca flour, almond meal or buckwheat flour – whatever you like to use as your preferred flour/starch.
More Recipes You Might Like
- Cavolo Nero & Corn Fritters
- Paleo Souffle Pancakes
- Low-Carb Cauliflower Hash Browns
- Paleo Broccoli Pancakes
- Egg Muffins With Salami & Halloumi
Made with halloumi cheese and some broccoli for extra nutrients, these cauliflower fritters are delicious and healthy. This recipe is gluten-free, low-carb and vegetarian. Serve with aioli or any other condiment of choice.
For the cauliflower fritters
- 1.5 cup finely diced cauliflower
- 1 cup finely diced broccoli
- 1/2 cup grated halloumi cheese
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour (or almond meal)
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
- Coconut oil or ghee for cooking (ghee=clarified butter)
For the coriander aioli
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (can also be completely omitted)
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander
- 1/2 garlic clove, finely grated or diced
- A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the fritters ingredients. If not using any halloumi cheese, add a more generous pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and melt 1 tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil. Using your hands, shape the mixture into small patties and add to the hot pan, one by one. Bring the heat down to medium and fry for 4 minutes on each or until golden brown.
- In the meantime, whisk together the aioli ingredients and serve in a side ramekin.
Halloumi cheese can be replaced with grated Cheddar or crumbled feta cheese.
- Serving Size: 4 fritters + 1.5 tablespoons aioli
- Calories: 428
- Sugar: 5.1 g
- Sodium: 588.6 mg
- Fat: 35.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.8 g
- Protein: 15.6 g
- Cholesterol: 228.1 mg