Today I am sharing a recipe for a delicious and light bircher porridge that you can prepare very quickly in the morning. As well as some basic ingredients every paleo pantry should have, I am also using a yummy superfood powder for an additional antioxidant boost. I’ve been testing out a few products from Nature’s Way Superfoods and after playing around with their Super Greens + Wild Reds powder, I came up with the idea for this lovely recipe.
The recipe is for one serving but you can easily multiply the ingredients and make a larger batch. Gorgeous blossoms are used for the ‘wow’ factor only.
A little bit about the powder I mentioned above. The Nature’s Way Super Greens + Wild Reds powder I am using has a gorgeous pink colour and a berry (mainly strawberry) flavour. As well as loads of antioxidant rich red fruits and berries, it contains an equivalent to 16 servings of veggies. It includes the usual suspects spirulina, kale and wheatgrass but doesn’t have that grassy flavour you would normally expect from the greens in powders. It’s great for recipes that need a berry flavour or a pink colour (I am thinking red velvet cupcakes next time), plus you can simply mix it with water or add it to a smoothie to make a quick nutritious drink on the go. In Australia, you can purchase Nature’s Ways products from Woolworths and Health 365 but if you’re located elsewhere and can’t get your hands on this kind of powder don’t worry. You can use extra chopped up fresh berries or ground up dehydrated strawberries. This bircher porridge is a good base that would work with any fruit or berry flavour.Print
Enjoy this beautiful chia coconut bircher porridge either cold or warm it up in a saucepan with extra coconut milk and water. Almond milk can be used in place of coconut milk.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon Nature’s Way Super Greens + Wild Reds Powder
- 1/2 medium green apple, grated (skin and juice)
- 2 tablespoons desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons roasted hazelnuts (almonds can also be used)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3–4 strawberries (half chopped and half sliced)
- Coconut yoghurt or regular full fat, unsweetened yoghurt to serve
- [url href=”https://www.cookedandloved.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/paleo_chia_coconut_porridge.jpg”][/url]
- Add water and chia seeds to a mixing bowl, stir and set aside for a few minutes. Chia seeds will absorb the water and expand slightly. In the meantime, prepare the rest of ingredients.
- Add the red powder, grated apple, coconut, hazelnuts, coconut milk and chopped strawberries to the chia seeds. Mix well with a spoon and set aside for another minute. Then serve in a bowl with extra strawberries, nuts and some yoghurt or extra coconut or almond milk on the side.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Nature’s Way Superfoods. I received a free sample of the product for the purpose of developing this recipe. All opinions are my own and I only work with products I genuinely like and think would be relevant to my audience.