This Chinese-style, low-carb chicken and broccoli stir-fry is quick and easy to make and be served as is or with a side of cauliflower rice, regular rice, noodles or quinoa. This chicken recipe comes with step-by-step photos to guide you along.
Chicken & Broccoli Stir-Fry Intro
Something I always seem to have in my grocery basket are chicken (either breasts or thighs) and broccoli. Both are super versatile ingredients and they also happen to go fabulously together, like in this easy chicken and broccoli stir-fry recipe.
I used a couple of Asian stir fry recipes for inspiration and adjusted the ingredients to make this a low-carb version. It’s super simple to make with a handful of ingredients you most likely already have. I make it in a frying pan; you can use a skillet or a wok.
You can serve chicken and broccoli stir-fry as is or with cauliflower rice for a low-carb, keto meal. Or, you can make a side of regular rice, brown rice, quinoa or noodles – whatever your family desires. I often do both my household is half low-carb and half regular.
Chicken: You can use chicken breast or thigh meat. I find that thigh meat needs just a tiny bit longer to cook but otherwise it’s all the same.
Broccoli: I use a full head of broccoli for a recipe serving 4 people. You can actually use even more or add cauliflower, carrots, red capsicum/bell pepper, Asian greens and so on.
Flavours: Keeping it simple with ginger and garlic as our main aromatics. For the sauces, you will need oyster sauce, Tamari (or soy sauce or coconut aminos), and sesame oil. Plus some olive and butter (I love the richness it adds but you can omit it for a dairy-free version).
Please note, most oyster sauces have a little bit of added sugar. The amount used here divided by four servings isn’t very much at all BUT if you want to avoid any added sugar, you can skip the oyster sauce and add some fish sauce instead. Or look out for brands with less sugar.
My favourite brand of oyster sauce is Megachef Oyster Sauce – it’s absolutely the BEST tasting oyster sauce, in my opinion, has no MSG, artificial flavours or colours. They also make the nicest fish sauce!
How To Make Chicken Broccoli Stir-Fry
You will find the full recipe with ingredients and nutritional breakdown in the recipe card below. Let’s break it down with step-by-step photos and video.
Step 1. Cut chicken breasts into strips and then cut those into bite-sized pieces. Season lightly with salt and white pepper (ideally, but regular black is also fine).
Step 2. Cut broccoli into half florets and leave small ones whole. Dice garlic, ginger and get the sauces ready.
Step 3. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli (cut side down) and cook for 2 minutes covered with a lid. This will help to steam the broccoli while also frying the bottom. Uncover, flip over and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
Step 4. Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet and cook the chicken for 3 minutes on the first side and 3 minutes on the second side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
Step 5. Add the butter, ginger and garlic to the skillet on medium-high. Cook for about 1 minute or until it’s starting to turn golden and aromatic.
Step 6. Return the chicken and broccoli and pour in the sauces. Stir fry for about a minute together and serve.
This low-carb chicken and broccoli stir fry is designed for four servings but you could serve it as two larger meals or prepare a side dish. Pretty nutrient-dense, especially high in vitamins C and K, B-vitamins (including B12 and folic acid), zinc, and magnesium. Good amounts of iron, potassium and vitamin E.
Here are the nutrition macros for 3 serving options:
Chicken Broccoli Stir-Fry (no sides): 335 calories, 12.5 g total carbs, 4.5 g fibre (8 g net carbs), 36 g protein, 16.3 g fat.
Chicken Broccoli With 1 Cup Cauliflower Rice cooked with a little butter: 387 calories, 17.9 g total carbs, 6.3 g fibre (11.6 g net carbs), 38.2 g protein, 19.5 g fat. Extra fibre and vitamin C!
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry With 1/2 cup cooked Basmati rice: 456 calories, 39 g total carbs, 4.5 g fibre (34.5 g net carbs), 38.4 g protein, 16.5 fat.
More Healthy Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Cabbage Stir-Fry (Paleo, Whole30, Gluten-free)
- Rotisserie Chicken Salad Recipe (Keto, Gluten-Free)
- Stuffed Chicken Kiev Patties (Low-Carb, Gluten-Free)
- Chicken Cobb Salad With Chipotle Ranch & Grilled Pineapple
- Grilled Chicken Piccata (Keto, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free)
Find the full list of ingredients, instructions and extra cooking notes below. If you have questions or cook this recipe, please let me know in the comments and make sure to rate this recipe so it’s easy for others to find.Print
Quick and easy, Chinese-style chicken broccoli stir-fry that is low-carb, keto, and gluten-free friendly. Serve as is, with cauliflower rice, regular rice, noodles, or quinoa (nutrition notes for all options provided above).
- 2 large chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into half florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon diced or minced ginger
- 2 large cloves garlic, diced or minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons Tamari sauce (or coconut aminos or soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Prepare chicken. Cut chicken breasts into strips and then cut those into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle lightly with a little salt and pepper (white pepper is ideal for Chinese flavours).
- Prepare broccoli. Cut broccoli into half florets and leave small ones whole. Dice the ginger and garlic and measure out the sauces (mix them in one bowl for ease).
- Stir-fry broccoli. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli (cut side down) and cook for 2 minutes covered with a lid. This will help to steam the broccoli while also frying the bottom. Uncover, flip over and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Stir-fry the chicken. Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet and cook the chicken for 3 minutes on the first side and 3 minutes on the second side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add aromatics & finish the stir-fry. Add the butter, ginger and garlic to the skillet on medium-high. Cook for about 1 minute or until it’s starting to turn golden and aromatic. Return the chicken and broccoli and pour in the sauces. Stir fry for about a minute together and serve.
See Ingredients notes above for sauces and substitutions.
- Serving Size: About 1-1.5 cups
- Calories: 335
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 1151.6 mg
- Fat: 16.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.5 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 36.1 g
- Cholesterol: 106.9 mg
Keywords: Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry, Chicken Broccoli, Stir Fry, Chinese, Oyster Sauce Chicken Broccoli, Low Carb, Keto, Gluten-Free