I like treats like everyone else but even with some cheeky desserts I try to make them nutritious as well as delicious. Today I’m sharing some yummy chocolatey, orangey goodness from Claire Yates’s book Optimal Health The Paleo Way, which is a fantastic resource for anyone starting out with the paleo lifestyle.
These little jaffa inspired cups are pretty easy to make and as well as enjoying the flavour, you will be getting the benefits of some of my favourite super foods used in the recipe – coconut oil and raw cacao. And since no tree nuts are used in the recipe, these are also safe for school lunch boxes.
Cook’s notes: Coconut butter is slightly thicker and more dense than coconut oil, it contains more of the coconut flesh. You can try using just the oil instead of the butter but the texture will be a little softer. Cacao butter is derived from the natural fat extracted from cacao beans and is a rich source of anti-oxidants. You can use leftovers as a skin moisturiser or to make some homemade chocolate. Cacao nibs are raw cacao beans that have been crushed up, you can also use some shaved dark chocolate instead. Orange extract, cacao butter, raw cacao powder, cacao nibs and coconut butter can be found in most good health-food stores or online. The good thing about these ingredients is that you can reuse them over and over again, they all last well.
I hope you like these! Share with me on Instagram – #eatdrinkpaleo – if you make these.Print
Chocolisious Coconut Jaffa Cups
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 10–12 cups 1x
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 5–7 drops of orange extract
- 2 tablespoons cacao butter (see Cook’s notes
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder (see Cook’s notes)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3–5 drops stevia, depending on desired sweetness (you still want a strong dark chocolate flavour)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs, to garnish (see Cook’s notes)
- Place 10–12 mini patty pans/cupcake casings on a baking tray.
- Place the coconut butter, coconut milk, honey and orange extract in a blender and mix until combined. Pour into a bowl and place in the fridge to chill. In a double boiler over a low heat, gently melt the cacao butter, cacao powder, coconut oil, stevia and orange zest.
- Once melted, turn off the heat and leave the bowl over the water to stay warm. Place a teaspoon of the orange chocolate mixture in each of the mini patty pans and place in the freezer for 10 minutes — leaving the remaining mixture on the double boiler to stay warm. Take out the tray of patty pans and add a teaspoon of the coconut cream mix to each, then place it back in the freezer for 5 minutes. Take out the tray of patty pans again and evenly divide the remaining orange chocolate mixture between them.
- Sprinkle each chocolate cup with cacao nibs and place back in the freezer until set. Serve cold.
Comment or Rate This Recipe
Got questions or feedback? Leave a comment. Made the recipe? Please leave a rating as it helps other readers to discover this dish. Name and email are required to avoid spam comments and are never used for any purpose or shared with third parties.