This egg skillet with chorizo and sweet potatoes is a perfect dish for weekend breakfast or brunch, or as a quick weeknight dinner. It’s inspired by my travel through Spain, where eggs are often served over fried potatoes with either jamon or chorizo.
Sweet potatoes and eggs are one of my favourite breakfasts (and food combos) but I am taking it up a notch with this one-pan breakfast (or dinner, if you like) that features flavourful chorizo and peppers as well. It’s a Spanish-inspired meal, that is both tasty and satiating.
Making Chorizo & Sweet Potato Egg Skillet
I am using cured chorizo (not the raw kind) in this dish. I was pleasantly surprised to find decent gluten-free and dairy-free chorizo with very additives or preservatives in many Spanish supermarkets, and when I lived in London and Australia, I often bought it from my local butcher. These days, you can find chorizo in most large supermarkets, but do read the labels and look for the one that has the least additives etc.
If you don’t have access to good quality chorizo, I recommend using chopped bacon or good quality salami and adding a teaspoon of paprika and a chopped clove of garlic to the mixture to recreate the flavours.
More Recipes You Might Like
- Chorizo & Eggs Breakfast Tacos
- Asparagus, Chorizo & Chicken Bake
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice (With Chorizo, Chicken & Shrimp)
- Roasted Vegetable Chorizo & Feta Salad
- Italian Sheet Pan Eggs With Prosciutto
Chorizo & Sweet Potato Egg Skillet
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 2-3 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Skillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1/2 medium red capsicum/bell pepper, diced into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 90–100 g / about 3 oz chorizo (raw or cured, we’ll be cooking it anyway), peeled and diced into cubes
- 4–6 eggs
- A little extra salt and pepper
- 1 spring onion/scallion, chopped (for finishing)
- Heat a large skillet/frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and sweet potatoes, spreading the cubes evenly on the pan. Cook for 3 minutes, until crisp and golden brown and turn the potatoes over. At this stage, add the peppers, salt and the diced chorizo and stir through. Cook over medium-high heat for 10-12 more minutes, stirring a few times, or until the sweet potato is nice and soft.
- Make a few wells in the mixture for the eggs. Crack the eggs and season them with a little extra salt and pepper, if you like. Cover with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Covering the pan with a lid speeds up the cooking, but if you don’t have one, just cook the eggs for a little longer. You can also scramble the eggs through.
- Finish the dish by topping everything with chopped green onions.
This is definitely my kind of breakfast! I need to bring back chorizo in my life because this looks fantastic.
YUM!!! My husband loves chorizo and would devour this sweet potato egg skillet. I’m going to have to make this for him soon. It’s so pretty too!
What a delicious looking dish! I love food like this for weekend breakfasts!
I love chorizo and will definitely be giving this one a try!
Totally love this dish. So colorful and delicious. I can have this dish everyday !
The crispy bits are my favorite!!! Suh suh good!
I’m totally drooling! I love delicious breakfast skillets like this – must try!
i love eggs and chorizo so made this, amazing flavours whilst eating it today!
Thanks David 🙂