Not to be confused with the French macarons, the macaroons are little snow mountains of goodness typically made with shredded coconut and egg whites. Naturally, the ingredients land themselves perfectly to paleo cooking, so all you really have to do is adjust the sweeteners and create your own fun flavours. Today’s nut-free, gluten-free paleo macaroons are a guest recipe from the cookbook everyone seems to be talking about, The New Yiddish Kitchen.
Written by Simone Miller of Zenbelly and Jennifer Robins of Predominantly Paleo, the cookbook is a fresh and healthful take on a beloved food tradition. Packed with over 100 traditional Jewish foods plus bonus holiday menus, this book lets you celebrate the holidays and every day with delicious food that truly nourishes. Enjoy these creamsicle flavoured macaroons from the book (for those not in the know, creamsicle is vanilla ice-cream with orange flavoued ice coat).Print
Creamsicle Macaroons from The New Yiddish Kitchen
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 18 cookies 1x
- 2 egg whites
- 12 ounces (340 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 (14-ounce [414-ml]) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) honey
- zest of one orange (about 1⁄2 tablespoon [7 ml])
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) orange juice
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until medium peaks form.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded coconut, coconut milk, honey, orange zest, orange juice, vanilla and salt.
- Fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
- Using a small ice cream scoop with a lever, or two spoons, drop the mixture onto a cookie sheet, about 2 tablespoons (30 ml) in each.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges. Allow them to cool before removing from the pan.
- Tip: Don’t waste those yolks! Save them to make mayonnaise.
Love the addition of orange to these! I definitely remember those orange creamsicles from my pre-paleo days…
Are those grapefruits in the background? 😉
Or blood oranges 😉
Made these right away! So good. Didn’t have coconut milk so used coconut cream. Will be making these again!
I made some tonight with line instead of orange. So delish! Does anyone know how I can store these and how long they keep for and if they can be frozen ?