Comforting, nutritious and super tasty creamy chicken orzo recipe the whole family will love. Made with peas and spinach for extra veggies, this one-pot orzo dish is like a fusion or risotto and chicken soup.
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach (1 frozen ball or equivalent amount)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, finely diced (1/2 cup chopped)
- 1 small carrot, finely diced (1/2 cup diced)
- 1 celery rib, finely diced (1/2 cup diced)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely diced or minced
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 breast of cooked chicken (rotisserie or roast thicken), diced (about 1.5 cups of meat)
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme (1/2 tsp dried thyme)
- 1/3 cup of white wine
- 1.5 cups uncooked orzo/ risoni
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 + 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (loosely packed)
- 1/4 cup thickened/heavy cream (optional, I used it but can be without)
- Basil or parsley to garnish
- Add peas to a bowl and cover with boiling water to thaw out. Repeat the same with the frozen spinach. Set aside.
- Add butter and olive oil to a large, deep frying pan or skillet. Heat over medium-high heat and add onions, carrots and celery. Season with 1/2 tsp salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes, to soften, stirring a few times.
- Add the garlic, diced cooked chicken, lemon zest, thyme, and pepper, stir through and add the white wine. Stir for 10-15 seconds.
- Add the orzo and chicken stock, stir through and once it comes to a simmer, turn the heat down to medium. Cook for a total of 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In the meantime, strain the spinach and squeeze the liquid out of it. Roughly chop it. Strain the peas.
- After about 10 minutes of cooking orzo, add the spinach and baby peas to the orzo. Stir through and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. If the liquid starts to reduce too much, add another ¼-½ cup of stock or water and continue to cook and stir a few times.
- In the meantime, grate the Parmesan cheese.
- In the last two minutes of cooking, add the grated Parmesan and the cream (if using). Stir through a few times to melt and incorporate.
- Finish by garnishing with chopped basil or parsley.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 513
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 889 mg
- Fat: 20.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.1 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 32.5 g
- Cholesterol: 76.9 mg
Keywords: Orzo recipe, orzo pasta, risoni, risoni recipe, chicken orzo, one-pot pasta, one-pot recipes, dinner, healthy, comfort food, risotto