This lovely breakfast is inspired by my favourite Middle Eastern flavours – cumin, paprika, sesame, coriander, mint and lemon. I wanted to make something different to our regular egg omelettes and salads and figured a little sweet potato will give us lots of energy for an active Saturday.
Cucumber tahini side is made with regular yoghurt but it’s just as delicious using dairy-free coconut yoghurt. If you want, you can also make it with some paleo mayonnaise or regular olive oil instead.Print
Egg Over Spiced Sweet Potato & Tahini Cucumber
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed powder
- 1 garlic clove, finely dice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2–4 free range eggs (depends how many you want per serve)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (mild or sweet)
- Generous pinch of salt
For cucumber side
- 1 medium cucumber, diced into cubes
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon coconut or regular full-fat yogurt, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Pinch of salt
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. In the meantime, peel and grate the sweet potato and mix with ground cumin, coriander seed powder, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add and melt the coconut oil in the frying pan. Turn the heat to medium and spread a layer of grated sweet potato. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then use a thin spatula to slide under the sweet potato (in batches) and flip it over to cook on the other side. Cook for 2-3 minutes again. It should be done in about 6-8 minutes in total. Divide the cooked sweet potato between two plates, making sure you scrape all the sticky fried potato bits, and set aside.
- Add more coconut oil to the same frying pan or feel free to use a clean pan. Crack the eggs and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until the whites are set and the yolks are soft and runny. Sprinkle with a little paprika and sea salt.
- While the eggs are cooking, combine the cucumber with the tahini, yogurt, lemon juice, mint and a little salt.
- Serve eggs over the sweet potato and cucumber raita on the side. Garnish with more mint.
Looks delicious! Can’t wait till I can eat sweet potato again. I’m going to smash this.
I never thought to grate sweet potato! What an awesome idea! Looks delish!
Sweet potato are indeed effective enough for me in losing pounds and is nutritious enough that is good for our cardiovascular health and is essential for our optimal. [ sweet potato rally dot com ]
Sweet potato are versatile this is what I’ve learned while browsing the net. It can be grilled,roasted, puréed, steamed and baked.Where you can add them to soups and stews, or grill and place on top of leafy greens for a delicious salad.A lot more you can have all we need to do is to be creative! 😉
That’s a really neat sweet potato idea. Great recipe, thanks for sharing.
My food motto is, “Put an egg on it!” I love the idea of spicing up a sweet potato hash and topping it with a fried egg. Yum!
OMG !! Just finished this for breakfast. Amazing. The flavours balance perfectly. I admit I was skeptical about the yogurt with the ggs but…WOW.
Definitely a keeper. thanks.
I’m glad you liked it 🙂
Delicious! Thank you for the recipe.