With melt-in-your-mouth, fluffy filling and buttery crust, this French style cheesecake is a delicious dessert for entertaining. As a bonus, this treat is gluten-free, low-carb and keto friendly.
For cheesecake crust
2 cups almond flour/meal
1/2 cup butter, softened (salted is nice)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence/extract
4 teaspoons sugar-free sweetener (e.g. Natvia, monk fruit or equivalent to 2 tbsp sugar)
1 teaspoon lemon zest (zest of ½ lemon)
For the cheesecake filling:
450 g / 1 lb. cream cheese (room temperature)
1/3 cup sugar-free sweetener (or equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar)
4 large eggs, separated (you’ll need both the yolks + the whites)
½ cup heavy/thickened cream
2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 punnet of fresh strawberries or raspberries
See notes for strawberry coulis
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / 375 F.
Make the crust
- Leave the butter out of the fridge for about 15 minutes to soften slightly. Once soft, mix the butter with almond flour, sugar-free sweetener, lemon zest and vanilla sweetener using a mixer or a food processor.
- Transfer the crust mixture into the baking cake tin and press it down and to the edges with your fingers. Try to make it as even and smooth as possible. But, you can spread the mixture so the side edges are a bit higher and go up the walls a little.
- Bake the crust for 8-10 minutes until it is golden. Remove from the oven and cool completely while you make the cheesecake filling. Reduce the oven to 175 C / 350 F.
Make the cheesecake filling
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and put them in separate bowls. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the sugar-free sweetener and cream cheese until smooth. Then, add one egg yolk at a time and beat the mixture until soft and creamy.
- Add heavy cream and vanilla and mix the whole mixture until smooth and has no lumps. You can use a whisk or a spatula at this stage.
- With a clean electric mixer, beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until they are firm and hold their shape. Gently fold the egg whites into the cheesecake filling mixture. Be careful not to over mix the filling, as the more you mix it at this point.
- Transfer the cheesecake filling to the cake pan and flatten the top. Bake for 45 minutes at 175 C / 350 F. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. The cake is done once the top of the cake is golden brown, and the filling feels firm and bouncy.
- Make the berry coulis sauce while the cake is baking. This is optional, you can also just garnish with fresh raspberries or strawberries.
- You can also make a simple berry coulis sauce with frozen raspberries or strawberries. Simply cook them in a small pot together with a little sweetener and orange juice or a splash of water. Once soft, puree until smooth.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 530
- Sugar: 5.6 g
- Sodium: 216.3 mg
- Fat: 47.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 22 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.9 g
- Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 13.2 g
- Cholesterol: 188.8 mg
Keywords: Cheesecake, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Baking, Cake, Cream Cheese