My spice-rubbed, grilled shrimp salad recipe is paired with avocado, crunchy vegetables like radish, cucumbers and celery, and topped with feta cheese for extra flavour. The shrimp is seasoned with a delicious smokey rub and can be grilled in a skillet, on a barbecue or under a broil. This recipe is gluten-free, low-carb and keto-friendly.
This is a grilled shrimp salad I often make for lunch or a light dinner. When I say light, I mean healthy, as this dish is actually quite satiating. Shrimp, or prawns for my Aussies, is high in protein and with plenty of fibre from all the vegetables and healthy fats in avocado and feta, this salad is a hearty one.
What I love about it is that you can use it as a template and swap out vegetables based on what you have on hand. It also goes with a variety of dressings. I have enjoyed it with lemon honey and mustard vinaigrette (in the recipe), my yogurt ranch dressing, a Mexican-inspired lime and coriander based sauce, or with a few drizzles of Balsamic and olive oil.
This shrimp salad is low-carb and keto-friendly and can be served without feta for a Whole30 and Paleo version.
Grilled Shrimp Salad Tips
- I recommend getting large shrimp, without the shell, to save you on prep time.
- You can use frozen shrimp to cut on costs. To defrost quickly, add a handful or as many pieces as you need to a bowl of warm water and leave for 5 minutes. Once the water is cold, replace it with more warm water. The shrimp will defrost in no time! Alternatively, you can thaw it out overnight in the fridge.
- The spice rub is the key to deliciosu grilled shrimp and the smoked paprika is a must here. It gives the shrimp lovely smokey flavour.
- Make sure the skillet or BBQ are hot! If it’s still heating up when you add the shrimp, it will start to stew rather than sizzle and brown.
- Don’t overcook the shrimp or the meat will get tough and rubbery.
More Shrimp Salad Recipes
Find the full list of ingredients, instructions, and a nutritional breakdown below. If you have questions or cook this recipe, please let me know in the comments, and make sure to rate this recipe so it’s easy for others to find.Print
Learn how to make a delicious and healthy grilled shrimp salad with avocado, crunchy vegetables and feta. Top with your favourite dressing, a lemon honey and mustard vinaigrette, in our case, and enjoy a protein-rich meal that’s good for you. The recipe is for 2 satiating servings so double up or divide down if you need to adjust.
- 20 large shrimp/prawns (peeled, 10 per serving)
For the shrimp rub
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (or lime), about 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1.5 teaspoons smokey paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil or avocado oil for cooking
For the salad
- 2 cups roughly chopped lettuce of choice
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbed feta cheese (I used smooth Danish feta)
For the dressing
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon mild English mustard or Dijon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Prepare the shrimp. Remove the shell if needed but can leave the tail. Pat dry the shrimp.
Season the shrimp. Add the rub ingredients to a large bowl and mix in the shrimp. Rub the spices and oil all over using your hands. Set aside. You can do this ahead of time and store the shrimp in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Grill the shrimp. Preheat a large skillet or the barbecue over high heat (e.g. 8 on the Induction stove). Add about 2 tablespoons of oil to a skillet and spray or brush the barbecue griddle with a little oil. Once hot, add the prawns and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side depending on size, or until just cooked through. Once both sides are done, toss them in a pan a few times and remove them from heat. I like to let them sit in a bowl for a few minutes to finish cooking.
Make the salad. Prepare the salad ingredients and whisk the dressing. You can do this before you cook the prawns or during the time. Assemble the salad bowls by dividing all ingredients evenly. Dress the salad with the dressing, then top it with the shrimp and some feta.
- Serving Size: Half of the salad (10 prawns each)
- Calories: 572
- Sugar: 10.7 g
- Sodium: 1688.7 mg
- Fat: 47.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.3 g
- Fiber: 7.2 g
- Protein: 19.5 g
- Cholesterol: 138.3 mg
Keywords: Shrimp salad, Prawn Salad, Grilled shrimp recipes, shrimp recipes, spiced shrimp, shrimp rub, shrimp avocado salad, shrimp salad with lettuce, prawn recipes, low-carb, keto, gluten-free
More Shrimp Recipes You Might Like
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp Zucchini Pasta
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice (With Chorizo, Chicken & Shrimp)
- Prawn Stir-Fry With Broccoli & Cashews
- Prawn Fritters With Spicy Sriracha Mayo
- Keto Spaghetti Squash & Shrimp Bake
- Grilled Shrimp With Three Sauces