Learn how to make Savoury Beef Mince base from 1 kilo of ground beef that can be turned into multiple dinners or lunches, such as Bolognese, Shepherd’s Pie, Mexican Casserole, tacos, burritos, stews and more.
Basic Savory Beef Mince
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 small to medium onions, finely diced (about 2 cups chopped)
2 celery ribs, chopped into small cubes (about 1.25 cups chopped)
1 large carrot, chopped into small cubes (about 1.25 cups chopped)
3 large cloves of garlic, minced or chopped
1 kg ground beef mince (2.2 lb)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce or gf Tamari
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon white or black pepper
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to a large frying pan. Add onions, carrots and celery and season with 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes, until soft and slightly caramelised.
- Now add another tablespoon of oil and garlic. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, then remove the vegetables to a bowl.
- Place the frying pan back on the heat and increase to high. Add another tablespoon of oil and all of the ground beef mince. Cook over high medium-high heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently and breaking the meat apart with a spatula.
- After about 10 minutes, use a potato masher to break down the meat further. Then add the garlic and onion powders, soy sauce, and another teaspoon of salt and pepper. Stir and return the vegetables to the meat. Stir and cook everything together for 2-3 more minutes.
- Transfer to containers and cool before placing in the fridge or freezer. I recommend 2 larger portions and 1 smaller one for the dinners outlined below but it doesn’t matter too much.
I used grass-fed ground beef (93% lean, 7% fat).
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 218
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 587.3 mg
- Fat: 12.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.1 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 21.5 g
- Cholesterol: 63 mg
Keywords: Ground Beef Recipes, Ground Beef Meal Prep, Savory Beef, Savoury Beef, Savoury Mince