Here is the recipe for how to make budget-friendly, nutritious Shepherd’s Pie (or Cottage Pie) with pre-made savoury beef mince, mashed white and sweet potatoes and grated cheese. Yum!
For Shepherd’s Pie filling
1 teaspoon butter
1 larger portion of the pre-made beef (2 cups)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup frozen baby peas
1/2 cup frozen sweet corn
1 cup tomato passata (pureed sauce)
1/2 cup water
For flour slurry
2 tablespoons flour
3–4 tablespoons water
For mashed potatoes
5 medium white potatoes
1/2 medium to large sweet potato
1 teaspoon salt
2–3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1 – 1.5 cups grated cheese (can be omitted)
- Prepare the mashed potatoes ahead of time. Place the potatoes in a small pot and cover with cold water, season with salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft. Drain, return to the pot and add the butter and milk. Mash together until smooth-ish and set aside. Taste for salt and season if needed.
- Heat a heavy saucepan or pan over medium-high heat and add a splash of olive oil. Add the pre-made beef, cinnamon, thyme and salt and stir through. Add the frozen peas and corn, no need to thaw out. Stir for a minute and then add the tomato sauce and water. Stir and cook together for a couple of minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk the flour and a little water in a bowl until smooth. Stir it in this flour flurry into the beef mixture. It will thicken the sauce into a nice, glossy gravy.
- Transfer the filling to a casserole dish and flatten with a spatula. Spread the mashed potatoes over the top and sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Bake in the 200 C / 400 F for 12-15 minutes until the cheese melts and turns golden brown.
You can use gluten-free flour or tapioca flour for the slurry.
The nutrition below is for Shepherd’s pie baked with cheese.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the casserole
- Calories: 698
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 1499.4 mg
- Fat: 36.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 57.7 g
- Protein: 37.7 g
- Cholesterol: 128.2 mg
Keywords: Shepherd's Pie, Cottage Pie, Beef Potato Casserole, Beef Potato Casserole, Ground Beef Casserole