Apples are always widely available but especially so in autumn. That’s when I like to buy a big batch and make these oven cooked maple apple crisps. They are easy to make, and are convenient to store and to transport around, making them perfect on-the-go food. Plus, there are no nuts to worry about, so they’re perfect for kids lunch boxes. I love to take them on hiking trips or to have as a little snack and finger food at parties.
Do note that I overcooked mine just a tiny bit as I got distracted, so they should be a little less browned than in my picture. The cooking time in the recipe is correct, but it may vary depending on your oven, so make sure to check up on the crisps in the last stage of cooking.
Maple & Sesame Apple Crisps
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours 25 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 35 mins
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Snack
- 2 large Granny Smith apples (makes about 2 trays of apple slices)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2–3 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Preheat oven to 110 °C / 230 °F.
- Wash and slice the apples very thinly (see pic above). You can remove the seeds if you like, but it’s fine to leave them in. Rub or drizzle the slices with a little lemon juice and place on the oven trays lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 2 hours, turning the slices over half way through. You might need to rotate the trays in the oven for even heat exposure.
- After two hours, the slices should be considerably dried up. Take the trays out and brush each slice with maple syrup. Then sprinkle with a little cinnamon and put back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the trays again, give the slices another light brush (more of a dub) with maple syrup and sprinkle with sesame seeds. We’re adding the sesame seeds right at the end as they can burn easily. Put back in the oven for 4-5 minutes.
- Finally, remove the trays from the oven and let the apples cool before storing in an air-tight container.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Oh these look so yummy! AND so cute! 🙂 xx Em + Carla