Mexican scrambled eggs with onions, peppers, tomatoes and chili are served with a side salad of creamy avocado, radish and coriander. This dish is balanced, satiating and nutritious (just check the nutrition breakdown below!) and can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Whole30, paleo, gluten-free friendly recipe.
This Mexican inspired egg scramble was a nice change to our standard fried eggs for breakfast. Caramelised onion and peppers, warm spices and a little kick and smokiness from the chipotle chilli go really well with the eggs and we enjoyed the freshness of the avocado and radish salad on the side.
It’s such a nutritious and colourful meal to start the day with. These Mexican scrambled eggs are also good in a breakfast taco or burrito and as a quick and easy dinner meal. This recipe is for two people but you can easily adjust it for 1 person or 4 people.
Tips For Making Mexican Scrambled Eggs
If you want to make this in the morning during the week, I suggest to either pre-chop everything the night before or to pre-cook the onion and red peppers mixture so all you have to do in the morning is add and scramble the eggs through.
Dried chipotle is a very smoky, milk chilli which can be found in most speciality spice shops, delis and in the Mexican section of the supermarket. Smoked paprika can be used instead of or you can simply leave it out. With the raw red chili, you can use serrano or jalapeno variety. Serrano is spicier so you can remove the seeds or use less of it.
The key to good scrambled eggs is to cook them just through and take off the heat. The eggs will continue to cook on your plate while hot.
I love a fun and creative egg scramble and if you do too, make sure to check out my Paleo Breakfast Cookbook for more ideas and recipes like this plus 85 other real food braky recipes.
Find the full list of ingredients, instructions, and a nutritional breakdown below. If you have questions or cook this recipe, please let me know in the comments, and make sure to rate this recipe so it’s easy for others to find.Print
Mexican scrambled eggs with avocado and radish salad is a balanced, satiating and nutritious meal you can dish up for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This recipe is gluten-free, paleo, Whole30 friendly.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee/butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow or red sweet pepper/capsicum, sliced
- 1/3 long red chilli, diced (serrano or jalapeno)
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (you can used canned diced tomatoes, just strain some of the juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet or mild paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 dried chipotle chilli (optional), chopped
- 5 eggs
For the salad
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 5–6 radishes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- A handful of fresh coriander/cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- A pinch of ground coriander seed (optional)
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, peppers and chilli for 5-6 minutes over medium heat, until softened. Add garlic, tomatoes, spices, salt and the dried chipotle pepper. Stir and cook for a further couple of minutes, add a little more oil or water if the mixture starts sticking to the bottom.
- Whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt and add to the mixture in the pan. Cook and continuously scramble and scrape the mixture from the bottom, folding it over and allowing different parts to cook through until soft and still slightly moist, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the salad ingredients and dress with a mix of lime juice, olive oil, sea salt and coriander seed. Serve with eggs and an extra wedge of lime.
- Serving Size: Half of the eggs and salad
- Calories: 456
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 953.6 mg
- Fat: 35.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.6 g
- Fiber: 8.2 g
- Protein: 17.5 g
- Cholesterol: 409.2 mg
More Recipes You Might Like
- Chorizo & Sweet Potato Egg Skillet
- Curry-Spiced Scrambled Eggs
- Zucchini Egg Scramble With Smoked Salmon
- Mushroom Cauliflower & Walnut Taco ‘Meat’
- Mexican-Inspired Baked Chicken Meatballs