This bruschetta-inspired fresh mozzarella salad with balsamic tomatoes and basil is gorgeous and delicious and can be made as a single-serve meal for lunch or as a large platter for a festive table, BBQ or picnic. Gluten-free, low-carb, and vegetarian.
This mozzarella salad is a cross between a tomato basil bruschetta and a classic Italian Caprese salad. Mild, creamy fresh mozzarella is topped with bold and beautiful balsamic tomatoes with basil, finely diced onions and a touch of garlic.
I sometimes make it as a ‘salad for one’ when I feel like something light but flavoursome for lunch. The recipe below is for two servings and you can simply multiply the ingredients to make a large platter for a dinner party or to serve as a side dish with extra protein or pasta, whatever your heart desires.
How To Make Mozzarella Salad With Balsamic Tomatoes
This salad is made with fresh mozzarella (I used buffalo mozzarella that comes in water brine) and I usually get one big ball per person. You can also use smaller mozzarella balls, aka bocconcini, and serve those cut in halves or whole.
A nice way to serve this salad is to have a platter of sliced mozzarella or balls and a bowl with the balsamic tomatoes on the side so that guests can dish them up together on their own plate.
For balsamic tomatoes, I really like using cherry tomatoes because they are extra sweet but you could also slice larger tomatoes. White or red onions or shallots and a little garlic give this salad a bit of sharpness, which I love. Good balsamic vinegar and olive oil are important in my opinion. Fresh basil brings it all together for that classic Italian combo.
As you can imagine, this dish is super easy to make. Slice mozzarella cheese or serve as whole bowls. Combine the balsamic tomato salad in a bowl and serve on top or on the side. That’s it! You can make the salad bit ahead of time but I prefer to add the balsamic and olive oil just before serving so the tomatoes aren’t too soggy.
More Healthy Italian Recipes You Might Like
- Eggplant Caprese Salad With Crispy Garlic & Aged Balsamic
- Baked Eggplant Stuffed with Italian Tomato Salsa
- Grilled Chicken Piccata (Keto, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free)
- Roasted Cherry Tomato Soup With Creamy Mascarpone
- 2 balls buffalo mozzarella
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 small onion white or red, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic finely diced
- 10-12 basil leaves chopped
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- If using whole large mozzarella balls, slice into 3-4 pieces. If using balls, you can halve them or leave them whole.
- In a separate bowl, combine tomatoes with the remaining salad ingredients. Top mozzarella with the tomatoes and the dressing and sprinkle with a few extra basil leaves. Drizzle of olive oil will give it a nice glossy touch.
- You can make the salad bit ahead of time but I prefer to add the balsamic and olive oil just before serving so the tomatoes aren't too soggy.