Super quick and easy, this Whole30 and paleo-friendly chicken tortilla soup comes with added kale for extra nutrients and crunchy pumpkin seeds. There are no tortilla crisps but the soup certainly doesn’t lack in flavour or texture. Takes 25 minutes!
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup pickled Jalapeños, finely diced (the ones you get in a jar like these)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1.5 cups cooked, diced chicken (breast or thigh meat is good, I picked up some roasted chicken from the supermarket)
- 2 cups torn kale leaves
- 1.5 cups / 400 grams chopped tinned tomatoes
- 2 cups good quality chicken stock or broth (I love Kettle& Fire one)
- Zest and juice of 1 lime (grate the zest first)
- 2/3 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoon diced spring onion/scallions
- 3 tablespoon fresh coriander/cilantro leaves (a good handful)
- 1 avocado, sliced into strips (a half per person)
- A little dusting of paprika if you’re feeling fancy
- Heat a medium saucepan with olive oil and add the diced onion. Cook for a minute or two and add the red peppers. Stir and cook for another minute while chopping other ingredients.
- Add the jalapeños, garlic, oregano, coriander seed and cumin powder. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds to release the aromas.
- Now add the chicken, kale, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, lime zest and juice and stir. Taste for salt. I added about 2/3 of a teaspoon of sea salt but you may need less depending on how much salt is in your chicken stock.
- Bring everything to a boil and cook on high heat for 5 minutes. Then, let it sit for 2-3 minutes off the heat while you prepare the garnishes.
- Place pumpkin seeds in a small frying pan and cook on medium heat for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Keep your eyes on them so they don’t get burnt. We simply want to toast them for extra crunch and nuttiness.
- Serve soup in bowls, topped with fresh coriander, green onions, toasted pumpkin seeds and sliced avocado. If you want, you can add corn chips or a paleo/Whole30 alternative like baked sweet potato chips.
PS. You can get 10% off Kettle & Fire bone broths and stock by using CRAVECOLLECTIVE at checkout , see the range here.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 588
- Sugar: 12.5 g
- Sodium: 1519.1 mg
- Fat: 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.1 g
- Fiber: 11.9 g
- Protein: 41 g
- Cholesterol: 86 mg