This tropical coconut and pineapple piña colada smoothie comes with added spirulina for extra antioxidants and nutrients. It’s dairy-free, has no added sugar, vegan and paleo-friendly and will give you lots of energy.
Piña colada is one of those cocktails that we hate to admit we like, even the boys. Yes, it’s kitsch and slightly juvenile but we love the way this coconut pineapple thirst-quencher tastes of summer and beach holidays.
I wanted to bring piña colada’s tropical paradise qualities into my morning so I decided to make an alcohol-free version with the added bonus of green superfoods. Behold my dairy-free, spirulina-enriched, virgin piña colada smoothie!!!
WHAT’S IN THE PINA COLADA SPIRULINA SMOOTHIE
The key ingredients are frozen banana (high in potassium, fibre, and Vitamin C & B6), aromatic and sweet pineapple (vitamins, flavonoids , and digestive enzyme bromelain) and creamy coconut cream (healthy fats, iron, minerals).
I also wanted to inject this smoothie with a few extra nutrients. I love using spirulina powder as it’s rich in antioxidants and immune-boosting nutrients. It has a slightly grassy marine flavour so a little goes a long way. It will give the smoothie a light tint of green and you will taste it slightly but personally, it’s really not that strong given the extra benefits.
If you’re not sure of using spirulina or another green superfood powder, you can start by adding a 1/2 teaspoon at a time. There are also many flavoured spirulina powders, which you can experiment with. I once used spirulina powder naturally flavoured with pineapple and slightly sweetened with stevia, which worked beautifully in this smoothie.
The smoothie will also work well with wheatgrass, chlorella or other mixed superfood powders, or you can add some spinach leaves. For added satiety, you can also add a scoop of protein powder of choice.
SERVING PINA COLADA SMOOTHIE
You can serve this tropical spirulina smoothie in glasses or in a bowl with added nuts, coconut flakes, bee pollen etc. It will work really well as a smoothie bowl or creamy ice-cream dessert if you freeze both bananas and pineapple. I like grilling a few pineapple slices for that caramelized sweetness on top but it’s optional.
MORE SMOOTHIE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- My Anti-Ageing Smoothie
- Glowing Goddess Green Smoothie
- Strawberry Almond & Coconut Smoothie
- Chocolate Berry Smoothie
Piña Colada Smoothie With Spirulina
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Latin American
Frozen banana, pineapple and coconut milk blended together with added superfood spirulina to create a delicious pina colada smoothie. Serve as a drink or a smoothie bowl.
- 6 pineapple slices + short bamboo skewers (I cut my longer ones to make them shorter)
- ½ teaspoon of coconut oil for frying
- 1 large banana, diced and frozen (1 cup diced)
- 1 cup diced ripe pineapple chunks (fresh or canned in juice)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (I used the thickened part)
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- 1/4–1/2 cup water (depending on the texture you like)
- Optional: a couple of ice-cubes (for thicker, colder summer version)
- coconut flakes, nuts, and seeds for garnish
- Pierce pineapple slices onto two skewers and pan fry in coconut oil over medium-high heat (about two minutes on each side, until golden grill marks appear). Set aside.
- Add the frozen banana, pineapple chunks, coconut cream, spirulina powder and lime juice to a blender or a food processor.
- If making as a drinking smoothie, add 1/2 cup of water or coconut water and process until smooth. Add a little extra water for thinner texture.
- For a thicker smoothie bowl, add less water or you can also freeze a few of the pineapple chunks. Whiz until thick and smoothe.
- Serve in glasses or bowls, as you wish. Garnish with some toasted coconut flakes or a handful of nuts and seeds and grilled pineapple skewers.
- Serving Size: 250-275 ml with grilled pineapple
- Calories: 381
- Sugar: 24.7 g
- Sodium: 29.5 mg
- Fat: 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 22.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 41.3 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
SAVE THIS PINA COLADA SMOOTHIE TO PINTEREST
Comment or Rate This Recipe
Got questions or feedback? Leave a comment. Made the recipe? Please leave a rating as it helps other readers to discover this dish. Name and email are required to avoid spam comments and are never used for any purpose or shared with third parties.