Learn how to make Paella-inspired Spanish Cauliflower Rice with shrimp, chicken and chorizo. Made with a fabulous sofrito of onions, garlic and red sweet peppers, this dish is healthy and delicious, perfect for a grain-free, low-carb dinner.
- 1 head of cauliflower, broken into florets and chopped finely, you need about 5 cups (see notes above, alternatively you can use 5 cups of store-bought cauliflower rice)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 x medium good-quality chorizo sausages, skin off and sliced (look for Spanish kind, with lots of paprika)
- 12 prawns/shrimp, peeled and deveined, keep the tails on
- 1 chicken breast or 2 chicken thighs, diced into cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum pepper, diced into small cubes
- 1/2 long red chilli, diced finely
- 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron powder or a few saffron threads (this is optional, you don’t have to buy it or use it)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 green onion, for garnish (you can also use parsley)
- Prep the cauliflower. Using a processor, or chopping by hand, dice cauliflower into small, rice-size crumbs. Set aside.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients and have everything ready before you start cooking this dish.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook on both sides for 1-2 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Remove chorizo to a plate but reserve the fat/oil that oozed from the sausage.
- Add the prawns and cook on each side for 1 minute, sprinkle with a little salt and remove to a plate.
- Finally, add the chicken with a little more olive oil if the pan starts getting sticky. Season with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a few pinches of pepper. Cook chicken for about 6-7 minutes, until slightly browned on all sides. Remove to a side plate as well. Note: it will cook for a little longer once we add the cauliflower rice into the dish.
- Keeping the heat on medium, add 2 more tablespoons of olive to the same frying pan. Add the onions, red peppers, chilli and a good pinch of salt and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times. Add garlic, paprika and saffron if using. Stir through for 10 seconds to release the aromas.
- Add white wine and let it bubble away for 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and stock and cook on low heat for 5 minutes until onions and red peppers have softened and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- At this stage, add the pre-cooked chorizo (reserve a few slices for styling) and chicken together with the cauliflower ‘rice’. Mix through and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times, until the cauliflower has softened slightly but is still a little crunchy. You can add a little more oil or/and stock if the pan gets a little sticky or it feels like you need more liquid.
- Finally, stir in the prawns and drizzle with lemon juice to finish things off.
- Serve with some chopped green onions and a sprinkle of paprika.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 499
- Sugar: 7.9 g
- Sodium: 849.7 mg
- Fat: 28.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.9 g
- Fiber: 6.1 g
- Protein: 38.4 g
- Cholesterol: 157.1 mg
Keywords: Paella, Cauliflower Rice, Spanish, Rice, Skillet, Low-Carb, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Healthy Dinner