For a quick, easy and nutritious breakfast, try this egg and zucchini scramble with smoked salmon and cherry tomatoes. It’s gluten-free, low-carb, keto, Whole30 and paleo-friendly.
If you’re like me, you will often find a leftover (sometimes sad-looking) zucchini hiding at the back of the fridge. Often, it’s just half of a zucchini and you get stuck thinking what to do with it. Well, today’s egg scramble recipe is my go-to solution for using up unwanted zucchini.
The cool thing about zucchini, or courgette as it is also known, is that it’s very neutral tasting. It makes a perfect canvas for dishing up sauces such as Bolognese or Prawn Arrabbiata, and you can use it in muffins, bread and meatballs. It’s THE perfect vegetable to hide inside other things. Parents, I hope you’re reading this!
So, using it in an egg zucchini scramble is great if you want to add some veggies to your breakfast while not actually tasting or seeing the green zucchini. It adds a few extra nutrients too.
NOTES ON ZUCCHINI EGG SCRAMBLE
What I like about this recipe is that it’s totally fuss-free. You slice up the zucchini and spring onion (scallions), cook them briefly, and scramble through with the eggs. It has a couple of tasty additions, but otherwise, it’s awesomely simple.
I like to serve it with smoked salmon and tomatoes but you can easily have it as is with a side of fruit or berries, or some roasted sweet potatoes that you can make ahead of time. And, this is great for a late-night dinner!
This recipe is perfect for those doing my paleo program or other similar programs like Whole30.
MORE EGG RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Mexican Scrambled Eggs with Avocado & Radish Salad
- Spanish Tortilla Egg Muffins (Mini Potato Frittatas)
- Curry Spiced Scrambled Eggs & Onions
- Omelette Roll With Caramelised Onion, Carrot & Ham
- 1/2 medium green zucchini
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 spring onions scallion, white and green parts chopped
- 1/2 clove of garlic finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder or curry powder both are optional but tasty
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + a pinch of pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill other herbs can be used
- 80 g smoked salmon more or less
- A few cherry tomatoes if you like
- Slice the zucchini into thin matchsticks, also knows as julienning, and set aside.
- In a medium frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add most of the chopped onion (reserve the chopped green parts for garnish). Sauté for a minute, stirring a couple of times, then add the garlic, zucchini, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring a few times, for about 2 minutes until softened.
- Whisk the eggs and pour into the pan. Scramble together with the vegetables for about a minute, until just cooked through. Sprinkle with fresh dill and serve with salmon and tomatoes, or other preferred sides.
If you love this recipe, make sure to share it around and don’t forget to rate it. Leave a question or comment below. Enjoy!