Inspired by the French classic, this peach and raspberry clafoutis is a lighter version of the famous baked fruit dessert. It’s dairy-free and gluten-free and can be made with a variety of berries, fruit or the traditional cherries. Serve it with a little yoghurt or cream on top.
What Is Clafoutis?
Clafoutis (or clafouti) is a traditional French dessert originating in Limousine region and is composed of black cherries baked in a flan-like batter usually made with eggs, milk, sugar and a little flour. While using cherries is more authentic, this dish can be made with other berries and fruit.
Clafoutis is not a sponge cake! Its texture is more similar to a flan, baked custard or bread pudding, or I like to think of it as a sweet frittata. It’s moist, fluffy and very light. It shouldn’t be too sweet either, with the fruit providing most of the flavour.
Peach & Raspberry Clafoutis
For this recipe, I replaced regular milk with coconut milk and used almond meal instead of flour. I added a little lime zest as well, which goes well with coconut, so the batter has a slightly tropical flavour to it. Honey was used as the primary sweetener but could be replaced with coconut syrup, rice malt syrup, coconut sugar or even keto-friendly sweetener.
This peach and raspberry clafoutis is best served while still warm with a side of dairy-free yoghurt or ice-cream, or heavy cream if you can tolerate it. If keeping leftovers, I recommend reheating it in the oven first.
More Paleo & Dairy-Free Desserts
- Paleo Raspberry & Coconut Cake
- Salted Caramel & Chocolate Hazelnut & Salted Caramel Tart
- Citrus Drizzle Cake (Grain-Free, Nut-Free)
- Orange Almond Cake With Basil Cream
Find the full list of ingredients, instructions, and a nutritional breakdown below. If you have questions or cook this recipe, please let me know in the comments, and make sure to rate this recipe so it’s easy for others to find.
- Zest of 1/2 of lime
- 6 eggs
- 1.5 cans full-fat coconut milk 1 whole can and 1/2 can of just thickened cream scooped from the top, 400 ml cans
- 1/3 cup honey or another sweetener (6 tablespoons)
- 125 g almond meal or almond flour (250 ml or 1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda bicarb soda
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil butter or ghee
- 2 peaches sliced into small wedges
- 1.5 cups raspberries can be other berries or a mix
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 355 F.
- Whisk the eggs and lime zest in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the coconut milk and honey and whisk until well combined.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk well.
- Grease a large baking dish or a casserole dish with the coconut oil or butter.
- Scatter half of the peaches and berries on the bottom and pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Pop in the oven, middle shelf, for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and gently submerge the rest of the peaches and raspberries in the partially cooked batter. Drizzle with a little more honey over the top and pop back in the oven. Bake for another 40 minutes, or until browned and set in the middle.
- The clafoutis will rise as it cooks creating little puffy edges. Depending on the size and shape of your baking dish, the clafoutis could take a little less or more time to cook through. For example, a more shallow dish means thinner clafoutis and less time for it to cook and set properly.
- Once cooked, serve with coconut ice cream, whipped coconut cream or dairy-free yoghurt on the side. You can also decorate the dish with coconut flakes or almond flakes and more berries.