This healthy radish salad with hard-boiled egg and creamy dressing is perfect for those looking for a low-carb, keto and gluten-free dish. It can be served as a side but it’s satiating enough to be its own light meal.
This radish salad with hard-boiled egg and creamy dressing is a family favourite. My mum has always grown radishes and spring onions in her garden so we would eat this simple and healthy salad throughout the year.
Radishes are easy to grow so they are usually available across seasons. They are full of vitamin C and have good levels of folate, vitamin B-6, riboflavin, thiamin and minerals such as iron, magnesium, copper and calcium. Hard-boiled eggs add a bit of protein and good fats making this salad quite satiating.
Traditionally, all ingredients are combined with a creamy dressing made from whole egg mayonnaise and sour cream but you can easily use lemon juice and olive oil if you avoid dairy or eggs. I am posting the original recipe with my own little twist.
Tip: To store the radishes, remove the green leaves which will otherwise zap nutrition from the root, and keep in the fridge in a plastic bag or an air-tight container. They should stay fresh for about a week.
You might also like:
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 bunch of radishes 6-8 medium radish bulbs, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onion/scallions
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon whole egg mayonnaise less sweet variety or homemade olive oil based is best
- 1 tablespoon crème fraîche sour cream or yoghurt (can be omitted)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch cracked pepper
- A few small salad leaves
- Cook the eggs in boiling water for 8-10 minutes. Rinse under cold water for a few minutes and peel. Cut eggs in half and separate the whites from the yolks. Crumble the yolk and dice the whites.
- Combine mayonnaise, crème fraîche, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper to make the dressing.
- Smear some of the dressing on the bottom of a large serving plate. Place a thick layer of radishes and sprinkle with green onion, diced egg whites and yolk crumble. Drizzle with a tablespoon of the dressing over the top and garnish with a few salad leaves. If presentation is not important, just toss everything together with the dressing and serve in a salad bowl.