This raw zucchini caponata salad is inspired by the classic Sicilian caponata recipe but is made with raw courgettes instead. Great as a summer salad or a side dish with your favourite protein. Paleo, Whole30, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free and vegan-friendly (just omit the anchovies).
What Is Caponata?
Before we get started, let me say that this is not exactly the classic caponata but it is inspired by its medley of quintessential Mediterranean flavours. Caponata is a Sicilian speciality usually made with eggplant (aubergines), celery and tomatoes, which are sliced and cooked in olive oil together with capers, olives and anchovy fillets.
My recreation with raw zucchini (courgette) and sweet tomatoes is like a younger, wilder cousin of caponata. The flavours are very similar but not as earthy as the eggplant version.
In this raw caponata, zucchini is diced into small cubes and tossed through a zesty dressing with tomatoes, spring onions, capers, olives, anchovies and pine nuts.
You can turn it into a warm dish by sauteeing the zucchini in olive oil until golden brown. In addition, this dish can be topped with shaved Parmesan or feta, or some nutritional yeast flakes for a dairy-free version.
What Goes With Raw Zucchini Caponata?
It’s a zesty and vibrant salad that works really well as a side dish with some grilled meat or fish. With its bold flavours, it can be a great condiment to a more neutral main dish. I served it alongside a simple grilled steak or you could do chicken instead.
For a vegetarian version, add some canned chickpeas or grilled halloumi or feta on top.
More Healthy Zucchini Recipes
- Creamy Paleo Zucchini Pasta With Artichokes & Turkey
- Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 5-Minute Zucchini Salad With Lemon & Mint
- Turmeric Zucchini Soup (Paleo, Vegan, Keto)
- 4 medium zucchinis courgettes, diced
- 4 medium Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup Spanish olives sliced, pitted
- 1/4 cup marinated baby capers
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 1/4 cup spring onions scallions, diced
- 3-4 anchovies finely chopped (omit for a vegan version)
For the dressing
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon honey or brown rice syrup (can be omitted)
- 2-3 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- 2-3 tablespoons grated Parmesan optional, nutritional yeast can be used instead
- Combine zucchini, tomatoes, olives, capers, lemon zest, green onion and anchovies in a large salad bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine and whisk the dressing. Pour over the salad and mix to incorporate.
- To toast the pine nuts, cook them in a small frying pan over medium heat for about two minutes, stirring frequently. Top the salad with pine nuts and grated Parmesan if you wish.