Perfect for entertaining and feeding a crowd, these sensational roasted sweet potatoes are topped with zesty crumbs of walnuts, parsley, garlic and a touch for chilli. Great for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and roast dinners.
- 1–1.2kg / 2.5 lb sweet potatoes (4–5 medium sweet potatoes), peeled and cut in halves or quartered wedges, depending on size
- 2–3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1+1/2 teaspoons sea salt
For the topping
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled and roughly diced
- 1/2 long red chilli, roughly sliced
- Handful of fresh parsley (about 10 g / 0.5 oz)
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 395 F.
- Line a flat baking tray with parchment paper. Place sweet potato wedges in the tray, inner side up, and drizzle them with olive oil. Sprinkle evenly with 1 teaspoon of salt. Place in the oven, middle shelf for 30 minutes. At a 15-minute mark, rotate the tray for even cooking.
- In the meantime, place the topping ingredients in a food processor and grind into small crumbs. Set aside. If you don’t have a food processor, you can chop the ingredients finely with a knife.
- Once cooked, remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and season with a little more sea salt (about half a teaspoon or so). Sprinkle the walnut and parsley crumbs evenly over the top. You can garnish the final dish with a few whole parsley leaves and walnuts, if you like. Serve while hot.
- Make ahead tip: Pre-roast the sweet potatoes for 25 minutes and store covered with cling wrap in the fridge. Reheat at 200 C for 5-10 minutes then sprinkle with the crumbs just before serving. You can make the topping ahead of time too and store in an airtight container.
Keywords: sweet potatoes, festive side dishes, holiday dishes, paleo, gluten-free