Sticky and juicy, this orange marmalade chicken recipe is quick and easy and perfect for a weeknight dinner. Made using a glaze with my favourite marmalade with no added sugar! This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free.
I first stumbled on this ridiculously simple orange marmalade chicken recipe in Nigel Slater’s cookbook Eat. Being a fan of sweet, sticky chicken, I thought it looked and sounded delicious and I loved the idea of using marmalade for the glaze. After all, citrus and poultry are a match made in heaven.
I changed the amounts of the orange marmalade slightly and I’ve added some lemon juice to cut through the sweetness, but other than that the recipe is close to the original. I made a side of steamed greens and carrots to go with this dish and got big thumbs up for this meal.
How To Make Baked Orange Marmalade Chicken
To make the glaze, I use a brand of orange marmalade called St.Dalfour. They make preserves with no added cane sugar and all-natural ingredients. I believe this is widely available in many countries.
Marmalade, like honey or other sweeteners, is still sort of sugar (let’s not kid ourselves), so if you’re avoiding all sweet things, then you might want to skip this one. Just FYI, you’re looking at about 10 grams of carbs/sugar per serving, so if that’s within your macros, then definitely give this recipe a go!
I only made two servings, but if you’re doing a bigger batch of chicken, you’re looking at the following ratios of the glaze mix: 2 teaspoons marmalade + 1 teaspoon mustard + 1 teaspoon lemon juice per chicken piece (depending on the size of the thigh or drumstick). You can also use chicken wings or chicken breasts for this dish.
Once you mix the glaze, simply cover the chicken in the second half of cooking so it doesn’t burn.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Paleo Bang Bang Chicken With Spicy Nut Sauce
- Baked Chicken Thighs With Special Green Sauce
- Coconut Yoghurt Chicken
- Smoky & Sticky Glazed Chicken Wings
- Korean Spicy Chicken
This orange marmalade chicken recipe is quick and easy and perfect for a weeknight dinner. Made using a glaze with my favourite marmalade with no added sugar, it’s got a lovely sticky finish and is very juicy. Serve with a side of steamed veg for a healthy meal.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F.
- Place the chicken pieces (skin side up) on a flat baking tray covered with foil or parchment paper. I used foil as I was at a friend’s house but ideally you would want to use parchment paper. Otherwise, drizzle the tray with some olive oil. The parchment paper is mostly there to catch any sweet juices and to prevent them from sticking to your tray, which is a pain in the *** to clean.
- So, the chicken is on the tray, not sprinkle with pieces with salt and some pepper. Put the tray in the oven, middle shelf, and bake for 17 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix together the marmalade, mustard and lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside.
- After 15 minutes, remove the chicken and spread the marmalade over the top. Place the tray back in the oven for 15 more minutes. Prepare a side of vegetables or a salad while it’s cooking.
- Serving Size: 2 pieces of chicken
- Calories: 476
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 1203.8 mg
- Fat: 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.3 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 47.8 g
- Cholesterol: 244 mg