These crispy, cheesy tuna cabbage patties (or fritters) with spicy garlic mayonnaise are perfect for lunch, brunch or dinner. Serve with a big salad for a satiating, nutritious meal. Also great as finger food! These cabbage tuna patties are keto, low-carb, and gluten-free.
2 cups shredded white cabbage (make sure to shred it thinly and chop it up a bit)
2 cups shredded cheese (Cheddar, Mozzarella, Tasty or a mix)
2 large eggs (yolks and whites)
185–190 g / 6 oz of canned tuna, drained (salmon or sardines are fine)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 red onion, diced finely
For spicy garlic mayo
1 clove of garlic, minced or grated
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
1–2 teaspoons Sriracha hot sauce
- Mix the batter. In a large bowl, combine shredded cabbage with cheese, tuna, eggs, red onions, salt and pepper. Mix until well incorporated, especially the cheese and eggs. Don’t leave sitting for too long as the cabbage will release juices and the whole mix might get quite wet. Best to cook right away!
Tip: If the mixture seems too wet, add a tablespoon of coconut flour or regular flour to absorb the moisture.
- Pan-fry fritters. In a large frying pan, heat a good splash of olive oil, avocado oil or coconut oil over medium-high heat. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the mixture to make a patty or use a large spoon or a 1/4-1/3 measuring cup to shape the patties. I usually eyeball it with a heaped tablespoon of the mixture. I add it to the pan and then shape and flatten the patty.
- Pan-fry over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Add a little more oil when you turn the patties to keep them extra crispy.
- Make the spicy aioli. While the patties are cooking, make the sauce. Grate or mince the garlic clove and mix into mayonnaise together with hot sauce. Set aside.
- Make a side dish. Prepare a side salad or vegetables to go with the patties.
Tuna can be swapped with canned salmon or sardines.
- Serving Size: 3 patties with 1.5 tablespoons sauce
- Calories: 481
- Sugar: 2.4 g
- Sodium: 1055.6 mg
- Fat: 38.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.9 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 27.9 g
- Cholesterol: 177.1 mg
Keywords: Fritters, Tuna, Cabbage, Keto, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Cheese, Canned Tuna Recipes, Cabbage Recipes, Patties