Fall in love with these baked cinnamon apples, perfect for a cozy, yet healthy dessert. Brown butter, cinnamon and pecan topping is like a comforting hug.
In This Post:
- ℹ️ Recipe Overview
- 🛒 Ingredients
- 📷 How To Make
- 📹 Watch The Video
- 🍚 What To Serve With
- 📝 Go To Full Recipe
Baked Cinnamon Apples
Warm, tender apples, filled with a delicious mix of brown sugar, pecans, and spices. It’s like a comforting, nutty hug for your taste buds.
The apples are gently baked, becoming soft, while the pecan mixture is all caramelsed sweetness with a hint of spice. The apples themselves get a sprinkle of cinnamon and brown sugar for that cozy, familiar taste.
You’ll love the combo of soft, warm fruit and the satisfying crunch of the pecan mixture. It’s like a sweet and nutty surprise in every bite.
Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream that melts and mingles with the apples. Drizzle some caramel sauce over the top for that extra sweet kick. It’s perfect for cosy dinners or any time you want a heartwarming dessert.
What You Will Need
Here is what you need to make cinnamon baked apples.
- Apples such as Fuji – pick large ones so you have enough canvas to work with. Depending on the size of the apples, you can do 1 half per serving or 2 halves.
- Pecans – I am going for autumnal vibes with pecan nuts but you could use walnuts, hazelnuts or almonds here.
- For the filling: cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, butter, brown sugar, salt and a little flour (gf or regular). If you have lots of leftover cinnamon, check out these gluten-free cinnamon rolls.
- To serve: vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, Greek yogurt or Coconut, caramel sauce or a drizzle of maple syrup or honey.
How To Make Baked Cinnamon Apples
Find the full list of ingredients, nutritional info, and instructions in the recipe card below. Here are some step-by-step pictures to guide you along.
- Step 1. Prepare the brown butter pecan topping for the apples. Heat the butter in a saucepan until boiling and smells nutty. Remove from heat and combine with brown sugar and vanilla. Add the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and mix. Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Step 2. Prepare the apples. Take each apple and cut it in half from the stem down. Use a spoon or melon baller to scoop out the centre and create a well for the pecan brown sugar mixture. Remove the stem as well.
- Step 3. Get ready to assemble. Take a baking dish and pour ½ cup of water in the bottom of the dish. Place each apple half inside. Sprinkle the tops of each apple with cinnamon and brown sugar. Then stuff each centre with the pecan brown sugar mixture. Packing well so it doesn’t fall out when baking.
- Step 4. Bake. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for another 45 minutes.
Remove from the oven and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
Watch The Video
What To Serve Baked Apples With
Vanilla ice cream is the traditional pairing but you can also opt for something like whipped cream or a dollop of mascarpone. For a healthier twist, top with Greek or coconut yoghurt, or even frozen yoghurt or low-carb ice cream.
A drizzle of caramel sauce, maple syrup or honey is great and I love adding a few extra nuts on top.
More Apple Recipes
Find the full list of ingredients, instructions, and a nutritional breakdown below. If you have questions or cook this recipe, please let me know in the comments, and make sure to rate this recipe so it’s easy for others to find.
Brown Butter Topping
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup pecans chopped
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 Apples such as Fuji
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup water
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Caramel Sauce or maple syrup or honey
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / 375 F.
- In a saucepan heat the butter until boiling, browned and smells nutty.
- Remove from the heat and add to a mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar and vanilla then mix together.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, mixing again until combined. Pour in the chopped pecans and mix together until evenly distributed. Set aside.
- Take each apple and cut it in half from the stem down. Use a spoon or melon baller to scoop out the centre seeds and create a bit of a well for the pecan brown sugar mixture. Remove the stem as well.
- Take a baking dish and pour ½ cup of water in the bottom of the dish. Place each apple half inside.
- Sprinkle the tops of each apple with cinnamon and brown sugar. Then stuff each centre with the pecan brown sugar mixture. Packing well so it doesn’t fall out when baking.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for another 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.