For something so quick and easy, this cucumber dill salad delivers in the flavour department. It’s made with sour cream, which when mixed with the cucumber juice, salt, pepper and herbs, creates the dreamiest salad dressing. Gluten-free and low-carb friendly.
Easy Cucumber Dill Salad
Cucumber dill salad with sour cream is our go-to side dish with Hungarian paprika chicken. It’s a salad commonly made in Central and Eastern Europe and it goes with a variety of dishes and is particularly good with chicken rissoles, cabbage pie, and salmon fish cakes.
The cucumbers, sliced thin, are cool and crunchy; the dill is so fragrant and adds a slightly sweet and grassy note; and the sour cream introduces a creamy and tangy element, which coats the cucumbers nicely, adding a smooth contrast to their crunch. The salad is seasoned with just the right amount of salt and pepper to enhance its flavours without overpowering the delicate balance of freshness from the cucumber and dill.
This cucumber salad is light and clean, with a creamy dressing that adds depth without heaviness. It’s perfect for balancing out any meal. Plus, it’s gluten-free, low-carb and keto-friendly.
How To Make Cucumber Dill Salad
You will need the following ingredients:
- Cucumbers – Lebanese or continental/telegraph cucumber will work in this recipe. Lebanese cucumbers are shorter and tend to be a little sweeter.
- Sour cream – I used regular sour cream but you can opt for light or lower-fat if watching calorie intake. Thick Greek yoghurt is a good alternative. Otherwise, try thickened cream and lemon juice mixed in. For a dairy-free version, use mayonnaise!
- Salt and pepper – use both, freshly ground black pepper is best.
- Dill – fresh dill, not dried as it simply won’t give you the same flavour.
Simply slice the cucumbers, season with salt and then mix with sour cream, pepper and dill. Serve fresh!
More Cucumber Recipes
- 3 cucumbers (Lebanese) sliced into thin circles, or Telegraph long cucumber, you need about 3 cups of slices cucumber
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- Slice the cucumbers and sprinkle with salt, transfer to a bowl. The salt will help the cucumbers to release some of the juice.
- Add chopped dill, sour cream and black pepper. Mix everything until well coated. The juice from the cucumbers will be incorporated into the sour cream salad dressing.
- Serve while fresh!
- If making ahead of time, pre-slice the cucumber and chop the dill but don't season or mix anything until just before serving to retain the crunchiness of the cucumber.