Pecan-crusted chicken with a touch of garlic, fried in a skillet for that perfect crispy finish and drizzled with honey to bring a little sweetness that goes so well with nutty, earthy pecans and savoury chicken. You’d be fooled to think this restaurant-quality dish is difficult to make, but it’s incredibly simple.
Follow my easy step-by-step recipe and tips! Serve with mashed potatoes, grilled veggies or a salad for a meal that everyone will love, or make a larger batch for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
In This Post:
- ℹ️ Recipe Overview
- 📝 Nutrition Notes
- 🛒 Ingredients
- 📷 How To Make
- 🥗 Serving Suggestions
- 📝 Full Recipe
Have you ever made crusted chicken before? If you love fried chicken or chicken schnitzel, you have to try my pecan-crusted chicken recipe.
Pan-fried and finished with honey, you get tender meat with crispy, crunchy, nutty coating and that tasty combination of sweet and savoury in every bite.
What I love about this pecan-crusted chicken:
- It’s easy to make (I have step-by-step pictures and all the tips below)
- It only uses a handful of ingredients
- It’s a fun and unique way to cook chicken and will add variation to your dinners
- It’s kid-friendly
- It goes with many side dishes.
I especially love pecans as the crust. They are often described as rich, buttery, and slightly sweet. The flavour is nutty with a smooth, almost creamy texture with hints of caramel which suits savoury chicken, and is great mixed with a little garlic and honey.
👩🍳 If you like all things chicken, honey or pecans, make sure to check out my hot honey chicken tenders, pork tenderloin with mushrooms, pecans and Balsamic onions, roasted squash with pecans and cranberries, or pumpkin pie with pecan crust for dessert.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Chicken breasts – if you prefer chicken thighs to breast meat, make sure to use skinless, boneless pieces and I recommend using a kitchen mallet to flatten them down a little. Thighs usually need slightly longer cooking time.
- Pecans – Can you use different nuts? Yes! To mimic the texture of pecans, go for walnuts as they are more creamy than say almonds or hazelnuts.
- Flour – Plain or gluten-free flour, just a little bit. You can also go without or add some cassava or tapioca for a grain-free version.
- Garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Egg for egg wash
- Oil for cooking – avocado, coconut or olive oil can be used.
- Runny honey of choice
- Green onions (scallions) for garnish
How To Make Pecan-Crusted Chicken
Find the complete recipe card with nutritional information below. Here is what you need and the steps to follow in pictures.
- Step 1. Halve the chicken breast lengthwise. Pat dry with a kitchen towel and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Step 2. Crush the pecans in a food processor. Combine with garlic powder and flour in a large plate. Beat the egg in a shallow bowl.
- Step 3. Heat oil on medium heat in a large skillet. Dredge chicken breast in egg then in pecan mixture. Cook in the skillet until cooked through and browned, about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Step 4. Remove excess oil from the skillet. Pour honey on the chicken breast and let it caramelize slightly in the pan with any juices.
Garnish with parsley. Serve with your favourite side dish.
Honey garlic pecan-crusted chicken is a delicious and flavourful dish that pairs well with a variety of sides. Here are some of my suggestions on what to serve with it:
- Mashed Potatoes: The creaminess of mashed white or sweet potatoes goes well with the crunchy texture of the pecan crust. For a low-carb version, make cauliflower mash.
- Vegetable Medley: Roasted or steamed vegetables like broccoli, carrots, and green beans would complement the sweet and nutty flavours of the chicken.
- Cranberry Sauce: The tanginess of cranberry sauce can balance the sweetness of the honey and add a burst of flavour to the dish.
- Mixed Greens Salad: A light salad with a vinaigrette dressing would provide a refreshing contrast.
- Quinoa Pilaf: Quinoa cooked with herbs, spices, and a bit of vegetable broth can be a nutritious and tasty accompaniment.
- Couscous: The mild and fluffy couscous can be a great neutral base that complements the chicken.
- Garlic Butter Rice: Fragrant and buttery rice seasoned with garlic can enhance the overall meal.
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Roasting sweet potatoes brings out their natural sweetness and pairs well with the honey garlic flavours.
- Green Salad with Fruits: A salad featuring mixed greens, sliced apples or pears, and a light citrus dressing can add a fresh and fruity element. Try my arugula apple salad.
- Grilled Asparagus: Asparagus lightly seasoned with salt, pepper, and olive oil can be a delicious and nutritious side.
Find the full list of ingredients, instructions, and a nutritional breakdown below. If you have questions or cook this recipe, please let me know in the comments, and make sure to rate this recipe so it’s easy for others to find.Print
Learn how to make pecan-crusted chicken with garlic and honey for that perfect combination of sweet and savoury in one dish.
- 2 large chicken breasts boneless skinless (450 g | lb )
- 2/3 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup pecans crushed (125 g | 4-5 oz )
- 1 tablespoon flour (plain or gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup honey (80 ml | 2.70 fluid oz)
Halve the chicken breasts lengthwise. Pat dry with a kitchen towel and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
Crushed pecans in a food processor. Combine with garlic powder and flour in a large bowl.
Beat the egg in a shallow bowl.
Heat oil on medium heat in a large skillet.
Dredge chicken breast slices in the egg, then in the pecan mixture. Cook in the skillet until cooked through and browned, about 4-5 minutes on each side.
Remove excess oil from the skillet. Pour honey on the chicken breasts to allow them to caramelize and slightly mix in with any juices in the pan.
Garnish with parsley. Serve with your favourite side dish.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in the oven on medium heat or in a skillet until hot.
- Walnuts can be used instead of pecans in this recipe.
- Serving Size: 1/2 chicken breast
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 24.1 g
- Sodium: 506.1 mg
- Fat: 24.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.4 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Protein: 29.2 g
- Cholesterol: 128.6 mg
Keywords: Chicken Breast Recipe, Chicken Breast Recipes, Crusted Chicken Breast, Pecan Chicken, Pecan Chicken, Crusted Chicken, Honey Chicken Breasts, Pecan Recipes, Dinner, Pecan Recipes