Shrimp paste often comes in solid blocks or squares. I used one square (2x2cm) in this recipe. You can find it as a paste in a glass jar as well.
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped roughly
- 4 small red chilies, deseeded (e.g. Birds eye chilli)
- 3-cm root of fresh turmeric (think the size of an index finger), peeled
- 3-cm root of fresh galangal (think of your thumb finger), peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3-cm fresh ginger root, peeled
- 5–6 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander/cilantro, (we’re mainly interested in the stalks from about half way down, make sure to rinse them)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (for extra colour)
- 1 medium brown onion, peeled and chopped (shallots can also be used)
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- Process all ingredients in a food processor or a blender until ground as smooth as possible and well combined. Store the paste in a clean, airtight jar in the fridge for up to a month, or freeze it for a few months.