These quick and easy egg and lettuce cups are great as finger food or an appetizer at a dinner party, as a quick snack, lunch or breaky. Paleo, Whole30 and keto friendly!
I love keeping a batch of hard-boiled in the fridge as they are easy to grab for a quick breakfast or as a nutritious snack. These egg and lettuce cups are one of my favourite ways to use up hard-boiled eggs, and they can be served as finger food or an appetizer to your guests, or enjoyed for lunch by you.
There isn’t much to this recipe but it’s the combination of different toppings and the spicy mayonnaise sauce that make them so irresistibly delicious.
You can use pickled gherkins, roasted red peppers, capers, sun-dried tomatoes or olives; I also like small pieces of smoked salmon or cooked prawns for something extra special. A little fresh herb is lovely and you can choose between coriander, dill, parsley or basil. Below is the recipe for my featured egg cups but here are other lovely combinations for you to try:
- A dollop of mayo, smoked salmon, fresh cucumber and dill
- A dollop of basil pesto and a cherry tomato
- Curry spiced mayo, sliced radish and coriander
- A dollop of aioli (garlic mayo) with cooked shrimp and fresh parsley
- A dollop of Dijon mustard, piece of ham and a teaspoon of sauerkraut
Egg & Lettuce Cups With Spicy Mayo
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 12 pieces 1x
- 6 eggs
- 12 gem lettuce leaves (baby Cos lettuce)
- 6 mini gherkins, sliced in half
- Handful of coriander leaves
- Salt and pepper
For spicy mayo
- 3 heaped tablespoons of good quality mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (Tabasco, Franks, or paleo Sriracha sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or grated 1/2 small garlic clove)
- Place the eggs in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, then strain and rinse under cold water. Cool down slightly and peel. Slice each egg in two halves, lengthways.
- Clean and towel dry the lettuce leaves. Arrange on the platter and add egg halves on top.
- Combine the mayonnaise with the hot sauce and garlic powder (if using) and add a dollop on top of each egg.
- Finally top with the gherkin and a coriander leaf. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and cracked pepper.
Follow me on Instagram and show what Eat Drink Paleo recipes you’re making in your kitchen. Tag @eatdrinkpaleo or use hashtag #eatdrinkpaleo.
Comment or Rate This Recipe
Got questions or feedback? Leave a comment. Made the recipe? Please leave a rating as it helps other readers to discover this dish. Name and email are required to avoid spam comments and are never used for any purpose or shared with third parties.