Embrace the flavours of fall and winter with this vibrant butternut squash salad featuring juicy pomegranate seeds, creamy feta, crunchy pumpkin seeds, and a drizzle of honey mustard dressing. A seasonal delight!
Perfect Fall & Winter Salad
This roasted butternut squash and pomegranate salad captures the essence of autumn and winter in a single recipe. You get a combination of warm and cold, crunchy and soft, sweet, tangy and salty all in every bite.
Butternut squash is cubed and roasted and combined with leafy greens, creamy feta, pumpkin seeds and fresh pomegranate seeds, all drizzled with a tangy honey mustard lemon dressing.
This salad is delicious any time of the year but is especially good for the holidays as it makes a fabulous addition to the Thanksgiving and Christmas table spread. You can use any type of winter squash or pumpkin for this recipe.
It’s gluten-free, vegetarian and can be vegan-friendly using dairy-free feta.
🍂🎃☔️ For more seasonal recipes, check out my roasted vegetable chorizo & feta salad or my other fall harvest-style roasted pumpkin salad with garlic tahini dressing. Find more fabulous salads with winter squash and pumpkin here.
Here is what you need to make this butternut squash salad with pomegranate seeds:
- Butternut squash – you will need half a squash for this salad; you can also use kabocha or another type of sweet winter squash here. This is simply seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Pomegranate seeds – these are usually widely available in fall and winter but you can often get them all year round. Blueberries or grapes would be a good alternative.
- Feta – I recommend milder, smooth feta here (e.g. Danish feta)
- Pumpkin seeds – if not available, go for crushed almonds or walnuts or some sunflower seeds; that crunch is really lovely and the salad wouldn’t quite be the same without some nuts or seeds.
- Leafy greens – I used a combination of rocket (arugula), kale and lettuce but you can use any salad leaves here. Baby spinach would be lovely.
- For the dressing – honey, mustard, lemon and olive oil, plus a little salt.
How To Make Butternut Squash Salad
Find the full list of ingredients, nutritional info, and instructions in the recipe card below. Here are some step-by-step pictures to guide you along.
- Roast butternut squash until tender.
- Make the salad dressing.
- Assemble the salad and top with butternut squash. Drizzle with honey mustard dressing and toss.
- Add grilled chicken, prawns, or tofu for a protein boost. Season them with complementary flavours like rosemary or thyme.
- Experiment with different nuts like toasted almonds, pecans, or walnuts instead of pumpkin seeds for an added crunch and flavour dimension.
- Try using goat cheese, blue cheese, or even Parmesan instead of feta for a unique twist on the creamy cheese component.
- Fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro/coriander, or mint can provide a burst of fresh, herbaceous flavour.
- Enhance the dressing with a hint of citrus by adding orange or grapefruit zest for a zesty and aromatic twist.
- Include caramelised onions for an extra layer of sweetness and depth of flavour.
- Serve the salad on a bed of cooked quinoa, couscous, or farro to make it heartier and more filling.
- Consider drizzling the roasted butternut squash with a touch of maple syrup for a different flavour profile.
- Create an avocado-based dressing or add sliced avocado to the salad for a creamy, rich element.
More Recipes With Butternut Squash
Find the full list of ingredients, instructions, and a nutritional breakdown below. If you have questions or cook this recipe, please let me know in the comments, and make sure to rate this recipe so it’s easy for others to find.
Butternut Squash & Pomegranate Salad
- 1/2 butternut squash 1.23 lb | 560 grams
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups green of choice 15.87 oz | 450 g
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds 8.35 oz | 237 g
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese 1-2 oz | 50 g
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds 1.05 oz | 30 g
Honey Mustard Dressing
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil 2.02 fl.oz | 60 ml
- 1 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
- A pinch of sea salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 C | 392 F.
- Peel and cut butternut squash into cubes. Transfer onto a flat baking tray. Season with oil, salt and pepper and toss through. Roast for 20-25 minutes. Remove and allow to cool down slightly. I like it warm in the salad but you can have it completely cooled.
- In a large salad bowl, add the leafy greens, pomegranate seeds, feta cheese, pumpkin seeds and roasted butternut squash.
- Combine honey mustard dressing ingredients in a small bowl then pour on the salad. Toss all together. If making ahead of time, leave the dressing out until serving time.