Mixed in with a little sweet fresh pear and earthy sage, these Chicken Sausage Patties (or chicken breakfast sausage if you will) are an excellent make-ahead dish you can enjoy as a quick and easy morning meal, lunchbox addition or protein main for dinner. These patties are gluten-free, paleo and Whole30-friendly; also suitable for those doing AIP.
Chicken Sausage Patties
When we refer to chicken sausage in Australia, we usually mean the pre-made sausage links you throw on the grill or fry up in a pan. In American, chicken sausage is more of a patty that is often also called breakfast sausage.
Ground chicken, pork or turkey meat – which we call mince Downunder – is often referred to and sold as ‘sausage’ meat. Hence, the patties made from ground chicken or pork are known as sausage or sausage patties. They are particularly common as a breakfast item, especially when cooked with the addition of something sweet like chopped fruit.
Chicken apple sausage is pretty common and I have a delicious apricot chicken sausage in my Paleo Breakfast Cookbook. In this version, I decided to make the patties with fresh pear and sage. It’s a delicious combination of sweet and aromatic fruit and earthy herb that go exceptionally well with poultry meat.
How To Serve Chicken Sausage Patties
This recipe is included in my free paleo meal plans and I suggest serving chicken patties for dinner with a side of greens or a salad and then use leftovers for lunch with a side of soup. They would be great with some roasted vegetables, rice or gluten-free pasta if you feel like more carbs and starch. They are super versatile and go well as a potluck dish on a festive table too.
Chicken sausage patties are also excellent for breakfast (hot or cold) and you can have them as a protein side with a smoothie or a juice, with a couple of eggs or some sweet potato rosti or sliced avocado. This really depends on your dietary needs as you can also use these in wraps, sandwiches, salads, or as a quick post-workout snack.
More Chicken Recipes You Might Like
- Grilled Chicken Piccata (Keto, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free)
- Low-Carb Greek Chicken Bowls
- Caesar Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Baked Chicken Meatballs In Spiced Tomato Sauce
- 750-800 g ground chicken or chicken sausage meat (1.7 lbs.)
- 1.5 medium ripe pears skin on but remove the core and chopped
- 10-12 sage leaves finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried sage or herbs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil macadamia oil or olive oil for frying
- Combine the ground chicken meat with the rest of the ingredients and mix well using your hands. Roll into small flat patties and set aside on a plate. Don’t worry if they’re not perfect or if a piece of pear is sticking out.
- Preheat a large skillet/frying pan over medium-high heat and melt a tablespoon of oil. Add the patties, in batches if needed, and without overcrowding the pan, and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, until well-browned. In the end, turn the patties on their sides for about 20 seconds; you can prop them up against
- the edges of the pan. This will brown off the edges slightly. Total cooking time is somewhere between 15-20 minutes depending on how thick the sausage patties are.