This Basque-inspired paleo cod recipe is a super simple and delicious way to prepare cod fish. It’s flavoured with pan-fried garlic, lemon and fresh parsley, plus lashings of olive oil. This dish is also gluten-free, keto and Whole30-friendly and is perfect to add to your cod recipes collection.
Garlic & Parsley Grilled Cod
Every time I visit Spain, and especially the Basque region, I am reminded of all the wonderful ways to enjoy cod. It’s the most popular type of fish there and comes on top of pintxos, like a mousse, and simply pan-fried with garlic and olive oil, to name a few recipes. That’s why whenever I see cod at the fishmongers or the supermarket, I always think of Spain.
Cooking With Cod
Cod is a really easy fish to cook and its mild, flaky flesh is suitable to many dishes and seasonings. It doesn’t taste too fishy, so the kids will love it too. It’s also quite affordable and tastes great after being frozen.
When it comes to nutrition, cod is a great source of protein, B-12, iodine, selenium, choline, and many more nutrients. It’s a great alternative to meat and poultry and is available all year round.
For this recipe, I used two long cod fillets but you can also use smaller pieces. I love serving it with a side of green veggies and sweet potatoes or a lovely salad. The best part, it takes little time to cook, so you can have dinner on the table in a flash.
Parsley could be replaced with other fresh herbs such as basil, dill or coriander. I am going parsley to stay close to the Spanish recipe. Enjoy!
More Fish & Seafood Recipes
- Sheet Pan Spiced Cod With Brussels Sprouts
- Grilled Squid With Chili & Garlic
- Party Shrimp With Three Sauces
- Cajun Salmon & Kale Salad
- Perfect Sardine Fishcakes
Healthy and delicious grilled cod with garlic and parsley, inspired by a Basque recipe. This keto, Whole30 and paleo cod dish is super easy to make and is affordable.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium cod fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large cloves of garlic, sliced or chopped
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Ground black pepper, optional
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and once hot, add the cod fillets and sprinkle with sea salt. Cook for 3 minutes on the first side.
- After about 2 minutes of cooking, add the garlic and the lemon zest around the cod in the olive oil and allow cook gently with the fish. Stir the garlic frequently to prevent burning. Turn the fish over, moving it around the pan to take on some of the garlic and lemon zest. Cook for 3 more minutes on the other side.
- Finish by drizzling the fish with the lemon juice and sprinkling it liberally with fresh parsley. Serve while hot with favourite vegetables or a salad.
- Serving Size: 1 cod fillet
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 1.3 g
- Sodium: 776.3 mg
- Fat: 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.9 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 31.3 g
- Cholesterol: 80.5 mg