Get ready to treat yourself to the ultimate tuna melt experience! This open-faced sandwich is a masterpiece of flavours and textures, featuring chewy sourdough bread, tender chunks of tuna, sharp onions, creamy mayo, zingy wholegrain mustard, and the irresistible ooey-gooey Cheddar cheese grilled to golden perfection. Trust me, this is the BEST tuna melt you’ll ever make!
4 slices sourdough toast (35-40 g each, 2 oz)
180 g / 6 oz canned tuna in brine (this is drained weight)
1/4 small red or white onion, finely diced
1 heaped teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
2.5 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 cup grated cheese (e.g. Cheddar, Tasty etc)
A few pinches of sea salt and ground black pepper
To serve: gherkins and sliced cucumber
- Pre-toast the bread on the lowest setting in a toaster, then arrange the pieces on a piece of parchment paper on a flat baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to Grill setting while you’re making the toppings.
Combine strained tuna with finely diced onions, mayonnaise and mustard and mash well with a fork.
- Grate the cheese and set aside.
- Spread a few tablespoons of the tuna mix on each piece of toast. Top generously with grated cheese.
- Pop the tray under a hot grill (medium-high) but make sure it’s not too close to the grill or the edges of the toast will burn before the cheese melts properly. Grill until the cheese has melted and formed a golden crust, it should only take a few minutes.
- Remove and cool slightly before serving. Sprinkle with a few pinches of ground black pepper and sea salt.
- Serving Size: 1 tuna melt sandwich
- Calories: 341
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 783.3 mg
- Fat: 18.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.5 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 17.2 g
- Cholesterol: 50.9 mg
Keywords: Canned Tuna, Tuna Melt Sandwich, Grilled Cheese, Tuna Grilled Cheese, Tuna Toastie, Grilled Sandwich, Lunch, Sourdough